cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Folders With EVPM

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
After a user is enabled for exchange archiving we use EVPM to create a set of folders with preset retention categories. Right now it's a manual process once a week, we identify the users that were enabled in the past week, lookup their DistinguishedNames from AD, and create a file that we feed to EVPM with the parameters. Wondering if anyone is doing the same thing in their environment maybe in a more efficient or automated way? (EV 7.5 SP5, Exchange 2007 SP1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
That's what we're working on. If you don't mind, I'll leave this post open for a bit longer to see if anybody else chimes in.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
 How are you identifying those users enabled in the last week?

It would be possible to write (say) a stored procedure, or some vbscript to query the ExchangeMailboxEntry in the Directory database, and get the LegacyMbxDN, and construct your file for EVPM (and if it were all done in vbscript it would then be possible to call EVPM)

[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName = EV1
SiteName = EVSite1
[Mailbox]
Distinguishedname = /o=EV Training/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user9
^^^^^^^ So your script would need to write the above lines, after working out who was enabled in the last week.

[Folder]
Name = \_test1
FilterName = systemdefault
OverrideArchiveLocks = True
RetentionCategory = Personal
NONDELETABLE=true

[Folder]
Name = \_test2
FilterName = systemdefault
OverrideArchiveLocks = True
RetentionCategory = Personal
NONDELETABLE=true

I'm not sure there is any harm in just simply running EVPM against everyone that is enabled once a week, since if the folder already exists in a particular users mailbox nothing new will get done ( I don't think ).    Would that also work ?

Thanks
Rob

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB

Rob,
*I was hoping you'd say that in v8 this can be done as a part of enabling a new user :) *

To get the list, we have a job on our Microsoft Identity Integration Server that synchronizes the adds and joins each time we run it. 

Your second option is simply good but some people don't want the retention folders and we wouldn't want to force them back in their mailbox each time.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I've heard of requirements to do this before, but no it's not on the EV 8 release.

Can you modify the job on your MIIS server so that it "creates" the EVPM formated file, and then runs EVPM ?  I'm not familiar with MIIS or the jobs .. is it a scripted language type of thing that would support this, or what does the output of the file look like?  If it's a list of display names (for example) you could then do some vbscript to read that list, and create the evpm script, and then run it.

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
That's what we're working on. If you don't mind, I'll leave this post open for a bit longer to see if anybody else chimes in.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Andrew,

We run a script first to create a csv file that has legacydnname, msExchHomeServerName, distinguishedname
Example:
/o=DOMAIN/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xx1234;EXCHSRVNAME;DOMAIN\xx1234

This csv is then used to enable the mailbox, and create a specific folder in the mailbox with a different retentioncategory.

We query for the exchangeserver, as our environment contains 9 clusters (6+2) and we have spread the load on 15 mbx archiving servers. We need therefor to determine on which EV-server an archive will be made.

The original csv has obviously all users with a mailbox, but there is some checking in the 2nd file that if a user already has an archive, it is being skipped. (if mailbox already enabled then skip or something)

This might ring a bell at Wayne ;)

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Do you need any more information here?
If not, and you are satisfied with a provided answer, can you choose this as Solution, please?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.