cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a draft for business - request to validate

gautam_verma1
Level 3

Hello People / Tech Gurus,

I have created a draft document for business with some general archiving policy.

Can you please review and validate evpm scripts once.

Warm Regards,

Gautam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can't have two policies on one user but the start with items larger than will allow those large items to be archived early.
From the Admin Guide:

1. You can also configure the policy so that Enterprise Vault archives large items first. Archiving large items first operates in addition to the main archiving strategy. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

Running this EVPM will override your Mailbox Policy.

• Email in your Exchange Mailbox older than 2 months, but with an attachment over 20MB in size will be automatically archived.

I would not use that.  I would instead check the option to start with items larger than 20MB and leave the option to never archive younger than 2 weeks.

Additionally, I would suggest you create a few test mailbox to POC your EVPM scripts to validate they are doing what you want them to do.

gautam_verma1
Level 3

Thank you Tony. Highly appreciate your suggestion. Yes Indeed I will implement it in test environment first before I even represent it to Business.

Nevertheless, will both policies work, normal mails 6 months archive and 20 MB mails 2 months archive?

Do I need to create 2 different policies for same OU/User?

TonySterling

You can't have two policies on one user but the start with items larger than will allow those large items to be archived early.
From the Admin Guide:

1. You can also configure the policy so that Enterprise Vault archives large items first. Archiving large items first operates in addition to the main archiving strategy. 

gautam_verma1
Level 3

Sounds good. I will set the right expections for client in that case and will communicate that it will collide otherwise.

Let me test it in test environment and will bug you probably again should I get stuck somewhere.

Thanks a ton for guidace Tony.

Regards,

Gautam

GertjanA

For your GPO's, make sure to add PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides setting:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO108480

The PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides registry setting must be configured as follows:

Outlook 2007

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST
REG_DWORD = PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides
Value = 1

This will allow the EV Add-In to open items. If you do not set this key, you cannot doubleclick an EV shortcut.

I also wonder why you are not deleting the originals, especially as you replace them with a shortcut.

You might want to set the way the shortcut looks to : Messagebody. this means users will see the complete email, but the attachments are accessible when the shortcut is doubleclicked (and thus the item is retrieved from the archive).

Regards. Gertjan

gautam_verma1
Level 3

Thank you, Gertjan. I will definately delete the originals. Have checked the box in test environment. It was by mistake unchecked when taking a screen shot.

Regarding PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticode registry setting, do I have to do it on every user's machine? I am sorry for silly question, I would have to work with Wintel team to push the policy if required. so just wanted to double check.

Also can you please let me know the CAS configuration as well for EV.

Thank you again for guidance.

GertjanA

Hi Gautam,

Setting is per user, so should be applied to users having EV enabled. Wintel team probably knows where to put it, could be same policy as where you have PST usage disabled/blocked.

CAS configuration as in 'Exchange CAS'?

No need to configure. Just make sure you have the powershell scripts run to give the Vault service account the proper permissions in Exchange. As you know (...) when configuring archiving, you define in EV the Exchange servers, not the CAS.

It is EV (together with the Outlook on the EV server), that wants access to a mailbox to archive. Outlook directs this to the cas, which is known (because you have an Outlook profile!) and then Exchange handles the rest.

For OWA, (if that is what you mean) you can check the admin-guide, and the configure exchange archiving.

Regards. Gertjan