cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new DataDomain Partition getting an Access Denied

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Anyone have any thoughts for the following error messages generated when trying to create a new partition.  I have created other partitions successfully that weren't to a DD box, I was even able to create a DD type partition by faking it out with a windows share, just get this problem when connecting to an actual DataDomain box.  If I just open up the share I have no problem creating files folders and deleting them, it's just through the EVAC that it doesn't work.  Dtrace didn't reveal anything more then what's below.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Storage Management
Event ID: 6717
Date:  19/03/2009
Time:  9:41:51 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: TEC-EV01
Description:
Error creating partition volume directory with security attributes

Reason: Access is denied.  [0x80070005]
Path: \\tec-dd01\backup\EVaultBKP
Reference: VSCREATE1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Storage Management
Event ID: 6799
Date:  19/03/2009
Time:  9:41:51 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: TEC-EV01
Description:
Unable to create Vault Store Partition.

Vault Store : 12B56C1FCBB35F240B078E636F39119F31210000TEC-EVSITE01
 Destination : \\tec-dd01\backup\EVaultBKP\Exchange

Internal references:
 Flags     : HSMType:0\NoSecurity:0\DeviceType:0\State1
 Error     : Access is denied.  [0x80070005]
 Reference : .\StorageManage.cpp (CStorageManage::CreatePartition) [lines {...,1186,1187,1188,1189,1190,1196,1199,1202,1203,1221,1222,1234}] built Nov 27 20:39:19 2008

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited
My customer tried the 777 commands with no success, plus a couple dozen other things with no luck.

Ultimately they upgraded to latest 4.5 version to correct the bugs with permissions, and were able to reset the default permissions and get things working again, then we had no problems creating the Vault partition.

I'm not sure if they deleted the EVservice account that I had them create on the DD box, I'm reasonably positive they didn't.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Does the VSA have change permissions on the DD partition? 

TonySterling

Is there at least one folder below the share path? 

So is the shared folder EVaultBKP ? 

TonySterling

sorry, hit save twice...

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited

The VSA (dopelganger account) has sysadmin, as well as the VSA has Full Control on the folders.

And yes, there are subfolders under the share that I'm drilling down to.  Doesn't seem to like it if the folder isn't empty either.  The actual shared folder is Backup I believe.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Have you created the folder using the VSA Account from Windows? If not, could you create a new folder directly under /backup using the VSA Account in Windows? In 4.4, the permission model is a bit shaky... ;) Or you could try this in SE Mode (if you know how to get in...) se chmod -R 777 /ndmplb/EVaultBKP Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited
My customer tried the 777 commands with no success, plus a couple dozen other things with no luck.

Ultimately they upgraded to latest 4.5 version to correct the bugs with permissions, and were able to reset the default permissions and get things working again, then we had no problems creating the Vault partition.

I'm not sure if they deleted the EVservice account that I had them create on the DD box, I'm reasonably positive they didn't.

MichelZ
Level 6
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure if 4.4 is even supported for EV? Cheers Michel

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Not like Symantec or DataDomain have provided any articles or documents to the fact, but going forward with future customers, 4.5 will be my minimum requirement.  Thanks for your input on the matter, us 3 might be the only people who have attempted this.

MichelZ
Level 6
;) I'm happy to experiment with it if I get some time. We're one of the biggest DataDomain as well as EV/Symantec partners in EMEA, so we definitely will get something together here ;) Cheers Michel