cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new Desktop Policy

btrowdy
Level 3

I am trying to test some new settings in a "Test Desktop Policy" assigned to just my account for changing the shortcut deletion behaviour. However it appears that the settings are not switching for me, even after the account syncronization is performed. What I have done so far is as follows;

1, Created a "Test Provisioning" Provisioning Group group and assigned it Rank 1, Targets are set to just my account only.

Note: The Default Provisioning Group is Rank 2 and contains the Whole Organization target

2, Created a "Test Exchange Desktop Policy" - Outlook Behaviour: Shortcut Deletion set to Ask User

Target is set to "Test Provisioning"

3, Ran the provisioing in Normal and Report mode

3:01:21 PM 1 Test Provisioning DOMAIN\MyAccount Default Exchange Mailbox Policy Default Exchange PST Migration Policy CN=My Account,OU=User OU,DC=DOMAIN,DC=local Updated mailbox

3:01:23 PM 2 Default Provisioning Group Whole Exchange Organization Default Exchange Mailbox Policy Default Exchange PST Migration Policy CN=My Account,OU=User OU,DC=DOMAIN,DC=local Mailbox already updated by provisioning group member 'Test Provisioning'/'DOMAIN\MYAccount'

4, Performed a mailbox synchonizaion for my account with Archive Settings and Mailbox Properties selected

Have I missed something here? Additionally, where can I find what Desktop Policy is applied to the account? I checked the log files on the Outlook Client and I have the setting as follows;

04/11/2015 15:05:50.250[9672][M]:     Desktop Setting: DELETEORIGINALITEM
04/11/2015 15:05:50.250[9672][M]:     Value: 2
04/11/2015 15:05:50.250[9672][L]: ~DesktopCommonConfig::GetSetting: 0x0
04/11/2015 15:05:50.250[9672][M]:  DELETEORIGINALITEM = 2 [Desktop Setting]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

btrowdy
Level 3

Site level settings were preventing deletion of vaulted items on a global scale. I changed this under Site>Properties>Archice Settings> Users can delete from their archive (Check).

Confirmed, I am now able to prompt for deletion of an email from outlook based on the Shortcut Deletion Ask User section under the Desktop Policy Settings.

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

make sure you are closing outlook and going back in because it needs to reread the hidden message in your mailbox after the changes are syncronized in EV.

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Create a new outlook profile on your machine and test.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To check if you have the policy applied:

In EV console, expand to Targets, Exchange. Rightclick Exchange. click 'Display Policies Assigned to Mailboxes'. Search for your own name. That shows the information.

As Andrew said, make sure to close/open Outlook (verify Outlook.exe is stopped using TaskController before opening again).

Regards. Gertjan

btrowdy
Level 3

I have done this a number of times including rebooting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

btrowdy
Level 3

I created a brand new outlook profile as you stipulated, still the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion, it was worth a try.

btrowdy
Level 3

I didn't know that existed. Very helpful indeed. I can see my Test Desktop Policy is applied to my account.

Do you happen to know if anything else outside of Policies>Options>Outlook Behaviour>Shortcut Deletion impacts the deletion behaviour? I have this set to Ask User but I'm not getting prompted.

I have opened and closed outlook and rebooted. I have also created a new profile. The setting is not applying.

Thanks

btrowdy
Level 3

Site level settings were preventing deletion of vaulted items on a global scale. I changed this under Site>Properties>Archice Settings> Users can delete from their archive (Check).

Confirmed, I am now able to prompt for deletion of an email from outlook based on the Shortcut Deletion Ask User section under the Desktop Policy Settings.

Thanks

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

that'll do it