Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating the Enterprise Vault system mailbox

srilal
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I have two concerns on "Creating the Enterprise Vault system mailbox".

My Environment :  Exchange 2010 (single server) , EV version 9.0.2 , SQL2008 as Database , Active Directory Server

All platforms : Windows Server 2008 R2

Question :

Enterprise Vault Service Account name : evadmin (In ActiveDirectory Server)

In my case "evadmin" user account has a respective mailbox in Exchange Server. Can I use that as the system mailbox instead creating a new mailbox in Exchange Server ?

way 1 : use evadmin account mailbox

way 2: create a fresh mailbox in Exchange

Which way is more appropriate in production ?

Thanks in Advanced

Regards,

Srilal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Ev need system mailbox just to hook up to the exhange server. The evadmin account should have send as receive as rights and the system mailbox should be on the exchange server for which the archiving task is created > 

So you can just create a fresh mailbox in Exchange.

refer the following document 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO49499

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Ev need system mailbox just to hook up to the exhange server. The evadmin account should have send as receive as rights and the system mailbox should be on the exchange server for which the archiving task is created > 

So you can just create a fresh mailbox in Exchange.

refer the following document 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO49499

srilal
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just created a simple user mail box in Exchange server . (see screenshot)

"evadmin" has all permission set as per the document.Hope the new mailbox does not need any specific changes with respect to configuration except these :

•   The Enterprise Vault tasks require exclusive use of this mailbox, so the mailbox must not be used for any other purpose.
  •   The mailbox must not be hidden from address lists.
  •   The account that the Enterprise Vault system mailbox is associated with must not be disabled.

Regards,

Srilal

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure you select the newly created mailbox when setting up the archiving task for the exchange server.

srilal
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes.I will.

Thnx

JBWilliams
Level 2

Hello,

I am also in the process of bringing online a new Exchange 2010 enviroment. I am a bit confused on the EV System Mailbox.

Exactly, how is his mailbox created? Do I create this mailbox through the Exchange Management Console or is it created in the EV Console? The ESA has its own mailbox that I will migrate first to the 2010 enviroment.

Also, when adding the Exchange server, do I follow these steps below?

1. Add the new mailbox server to the Targets\Exchange
  2. Create a new task for the Exchange Server

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

The system mailbox is created on the Exchange side, just like you would create any other mailbox.

You can consolidate Steps 1 and 2 into 1 single step because as you are adding the Exchange server target you are prompted to create the archiving task.

JBWilliams
Level 2

THANKS.... Now I get it. The EV System Mailbox is just a mail enabled AD account. I wish the documentation would just say that which is much clearer.

JBWilliams
Level 2

One last question about Outlook on the EV Server. It is currently at Outlook 2003. Should I uninstall this client then install Outlook 2007 with hotfix KB968858 or can I just perform an upgrade?

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I haven't read any of the recent documentation but I do know it can get a bit confusing on occasion.  FYI, the EV System Mailbox should only be a Domain User.  Happy archiving!!!!!!!