cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Forest Migration Enterprise Vault 12.2

mostafasalama
Level 2

Hi All,

we are planning to do AD cross forest migration to new forest.

current EV environment:

- Enterprise Vault 12.x.

- Archiving targets: Exchange 2010 MBX server - Windows 2012 File Servers.

Proposed environment in the new forest:

-  Enterprse Vault -> Latest Version.

- Archiving targets -> Exchange Server 2016 - Windows 2012 - 2016 File Servers.

-- So, appreciate your help Smiley Happy if anyone implement or working with such these scenario and have an imagination how can we achieve that. Do we create a new EV environemnt in the new target forest, and if so how can we re-link the archived mailboxes with its archive?? and in coexistence period how can we archive from both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can move Enterprise Vault in it's entirety to the new domain. You then could upgrade to 12.4

I am however not sure how this works for FSA. I have performed these steps a few times in the last weeks, without issues. You do need to take in account that you need to set a registry key (to be sure in old and new domain), called SyncInMigrationMode. Look in Registry Guide for the exact location.

The longer run would be to install new EV in new domain. Disable user for archiving in old domain. Move mailbox. enable user in new domain. Use move arcvhive to migrate user archive to new EV. Catch. You cannot move Journal Archives this way, and I believe you cannot move FSA archives this way.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

Hi,

You can move Enterprise Vault in it's entirety to the new domain. You then could upgrade to 12.4

I am however not sure how this works for FSA. I have performed these steps a few times in the last weeks, without issues. You do need to take in account that you need to set a registry key (to be sure in old and new domain), called SyncInMigrationMode. Look in Registry Guide for the exact location.

The longer run would be to install new EV in new domain. Disable user for archiving in old domain. Move mailbox. enable user in new domain. Use move arcvhive to migrate user archive to new EV. Catch. You cannot move Journal Archives this way, and I believe you cannot move FSA archives this way.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

how many archives are we talking about?

Take care that there are limitation regarding "move archive"

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/7000/000006853/en_US/ev-whitepaper-move-arc...

page 20 onwards.

Exchange Public Folders, FSA, SharePoint, Shared cannot be moved with the Enterprise Vault Move Archive feature

Hi,

we are talking about 2500 user archive. So i prefere to avoid "move archive" option as we will not migrate the storage. the vault store partitions will be reside in the same physical site. asking if there is any way to relink the users after being migrated to the new forest to their original archive.

Hi,

do anyone know where can i put the registry "SyncInMigrationMode" .. i need to know the path of this registry.

after testing ... we moved sample user mailbox from one forest to another .. user cnnot access the vault search " access denied " even after provision the new exchange server. appreciate your help. 

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I would suggest you to use "move archive", have a look in the features within the link I have sent before, since it also offers a way to check if all data have been successfully moved.

You are changing to many components. the best way to do this is with move archive and then follow Gertjans instructions.

If you really do not want to use Move Archive there are third party tools that have more options regarding migrations. Archive Shuttle or TransVault for example

GertjanA

I assume user also received a new account?

Grant that account permissions on the user's own archive, then try again.

Regards. Gertjan