Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom filtering by AD group

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hiya,

Does anybody know if we can apply a custom filter rule base on an Active Directory group?

I have been looking all around the "Setting up Exchange Archiving" PDF but no luck. I am not sure it is possible as it is an AD attribute and not an Exchange one.
If you have any info it would be great.

Cheers,
Y.
4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
To be clear (for simple people like me !) .... are you wanting to journal a mail or delete a mail (or similiar) if the user [recipient?] is a member of group X?
Working for cloudficient.com

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I would like to journal a mail applying a Retention Category based on an AD Group. I know you can do it on Distribution List, per example if a recipient is member of a DL, then you can set a rule like this:

<RULE NAME='MyRuleName' ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM"  RETENTION="7 Years Retention Category for HR"
 <RECIPIENTS>
   <DL>DL_Applicable_Employees</DL>
 </RECIPIENTS>
  </RULE>

So everytime a mail get in with one recipient of more member of this  DL, then the mail get archive with the retention category set. 

But can you specify an AD security group instead of a distribution group/distribution list (exchange 2003)? in Exch2k7/Exch2010, I think DL's are separate from AD.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
99.9% sure it has to be a mail enabled group.. but you can mail enable a security group.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I tried a mail enabled security group, and it worked.  I've not tried a regular security group.  You an check it out in the dtrace though .. search for "Custom Filter processing message", and then scroll through to the message you want to see activity on.