cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Guide to specifying EV Archiving policies.

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

As EV Implementers the conversation with the customer goes something like this.

EV Implementer: "OK we are here to implement Email and / or File Archiving. You need to tell me what policies you would like to implement"

The customer says "Well you are the archiving expert, you tell me what we need to do"

The implementer says "It is your data, your company, you need to decide what policies are appropriate for your organisation. I can implement the policies, but I cannot (will not, may not) determine those policies for you

Customer says " OK what can EV do?

Is there a document which explains to the customer what EV can do, and what his choices are in terms of specifying archiving policies for File, Email, Sharepoint etc.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Honestly that is why customers should have a Solution Design Workshop.  During this process is where the customers tell you what issues they are trying to solve and you discuss the various capabilities of EV and how it can solve those problems.

There is an example Solution Design Questinaire on SYMIQ for Partners.  Even if you don't do a full blown solution design the customer can still fill it out so you know what issues they are trying to solve.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Honestly that is why customers should have a Solution Design Workshop.  During this process is where the customers tell you what issues they are trying to solve and you discuss the various capabilities of EV and how it can solve those problems.

There is an example Solution Design Questinaire on SYMIQ for Partners.  Even if you don't do a full blown solution design the customer can still fill it out so you know what issues they are trying to solve.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would explain to the customer what EV does and what to expect with the archiving process, such as clarify that EV does not perform backups, etc ... A good place to start would be the Introduction and Planning guide for the specific version that the customer is trying to implent. Then, they can go with installation, configuration guides to understand the process and how to setup Exchange Archiving. I know it sounds simple, but from the customer point of view, it would be an approach so they could understand much better what EV does and how they can get more benefits from the product.

Jose_Vega_Coto
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

that is important, manu customer think EV does backups and it is completly wrong, as Gabe says read the implementation guide will be a good start and then go to the others guides as required

The policies created in EV are not just created because, they must be created to be compliant with internal or external policies related to the nature and how critical is the data. 

For example, Finance department may be has different retentions than HHRR, those parameter must be taken in count at the time to create the policies. 

Others considerations are if the customer has PSTs and want to migrate them into EV, this could be a long period of time to complete, data archived can be saved to disk or tape in EV, etc.

A consulting would be a good idea

Baris_A
Level 4
Partner
Hi, Somewhere in Symantec Connect or Partners web site there are many technical education/how to/learning video captures and sales activity video captures. As I remember ( I watched them about 1 years ago ) first and second chapters are sufficient to present what EV does . On the other hand , SYMIQ for partner provides power point presentations which is full of pre-sales advisory information. regards.