cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA upgrade/migration question concerned about a version mismatch and looking for confirmation

trpe71
Level 4

Hello,

We are upgrading our servers and EV\DA and wanted to make sure I have the DA part in order. We are currently on W2K8x64r2 and moving to W2k16 servers for EV and DA. I understand the whole SSMW and everything is set for EV but with DA I was not 100% sure and wanted clarity.  Since the old server(W2K8) does not support 12.4 I cannot upgrade DA in place then migrate to the new server and the new server is not compatible with old DA version so can I just install the DA 12.4 binaries on the new server and then connect to the existing DBs and upgrade them through the evbaadmin page?

Thanks,

Trpe71

9 REPLIES 9

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Provided you come from an upgradable version (11.x or higher) you can.

See Move document, describves how to move DA to a new server.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for the reply! My only question is which version do I install on the new server 11.0.1 or the new 12.4? I am guessing that since 11.0.1 is not configured only installed I can get past it being listed as not compatible with W2k16, then upgrade right away to 12.4?

Thanks!

GertjanA

Hello, I am not sure you can actually install EV11.0.1 on W2016, as there should be a check for the OS version. What you might want to do, and for DA is not very time consuming.

On the old server, upgrade to 12.3. then move to new server, also 12.3. when moved, upgrade new server to 12.4.

The move document listed earlier is actually moving DA from a to b. But, b is going to be 12.4. In that perspective, you need to combine the move document and the upgrade document. move to 12.4, make sure those database entries etc are updated, then follow the upgrade guide. the one catch imho is that you need to recreate the virtual directories. I am not sure you need to do that before, or if it can be done after the upgrade.

Any chance of a 'test' environment?

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Yes there is a very similar test env, but yes that was my dilemma. The old server does not support the new DA and new server does not support the old DA. I have seen this before but I can’t find my notes on it but for some reason I thought installing the old version on the new server then upgrading was the what I did but just wanted to make sure before running down the wrong road. The big question is if I can do that as there is an incompatibility between OS

Thanks!

GertjanA

Hello again,

There is only one way to find out. Try installing EV11.0.1 on the new server. If that works, great. if it doesn't....

What I then would do: BACK DA DATABASES! Open the 11.0.1. EVBAAdmin, note down the information in regards to configuration (general, customer db's, custodian db's) If you use aliasses for DA, make sure they point to the new server.

Below is what I would attempt to get this going.

Stop Accelerator service on OLD server, set to disabled.
BACKUP DA DATABASES!
Install DA12.4 on new server.
Stop Accelerator service on NEW server, set to disabled.
Copy 11.0.1 licensefile to installation folder of DA12.4 (or use 12.4 license)

Copy from OLD DA server to installation folder of DA12.4
AcceleratorManager.exe.config
AcceleratorManagerConsole.exe.config
AcceleratorService.exe.config
ADSynchroniser.exe.config
AnalyticsConversationAnalyserTask.exe.config
AnalyticsIngesterTask.exe.config
AnalyticsServerApp.exe.config

Edit files if you do not use the default installation path.
Update 3 tables in DA config database, according to document.

Start Accelerator service on NEW server.
Open EVBAAdmin page, click UPGRADE
When upgraded, upgrade customer databases (rightclick, upgrade)
when done, rightclick customer, Check Virtual Directory
Upgrade reports if used)

if OK, BACKUP DA DATABASES!

Regards. Gertjan

Mouse

@trpe71 wrote:

Hello,

We are upgrading our servers and EV\DA and wanted to make sure I have the DA part in order. We are currently on W2K8x64r2 and moving to W2k16 servers for EV and DA. I understand the whole SSMW and everything is set for EV but with DA I was not 100% sure and wanted clarity.  Since the old server(W2K8) does not support 12.4 I cannot upgrade DA in place then migrate to the new server and the new server is not compatible with old DA version so can I just install the DA 12.4 binaries on the new server and then connect to the existing DBs and upgrade them through the evbaadmin page?

Thanks,

Trpe71

Done that multiple times. You can, indeed install DA to the new server and point it to the existing DA database, same works for CA if you appear to have one. However you need to make sure that the upgrade path is available between the old and new DA versions, just check if the new DA version can be had as upgrade from your old DA version - this will guarantee that the new DA will have a SQL script to execute against the DA database to bring its schema to the compatible version.

Thank you Gertjan, I very much appreciate all of your help! I will be trying it on my dev box which is set up the same a prod and will update what happens.

Regards,

Travis

Thank you Mikhail! It is a tricky one for sure if you only go by what is written in the docs. Will update what happens.

Regards,

Travis

Just wanted to update that after talking to MGT and Veritas everyone feels better doing the jump to 2012 servers which should make things a bit easier with the manual migration and upgrade and less questions about the SSMW. Thanks for the input!