cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCOM error on EV binaries re-install

Bar_JB
Level 3

We have Enterprise Vault V10 - I know right, but we are upgrading to V11 next week as the jump to V12 is a little to big a step at the moment.

We experienced an issue recently where we couldn't use the EV GUI to change EV vault locations. We were advised to do a repair install on EV to resolve this issue and reinstall the EV binaries.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000083473

We tried a re-install this week but it failed with a DCOM error. We followed the tech note advised relating to firewall preventing entry on TCP port 135 but it failed the same on the re-install.

We then refered to this article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH208491 but we do not see any blocked DLL files.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Does EV install, and do you see DCOM errors after startup, or can you not install EV due to DCOM errors?

After a new or re-install, you can expect to see 6 or 7 DCOM errors in the System Eventlog. These are 'normal', and can be ignored.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA

The EV binaries install doen't install due to the DCOM errors. It's interesting because we re-installed the EV binaries on another server ok but the admin console still crashes. I have had to revert back to a pre-install snapshot.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

It might be a Windows patch causing issues. I assume Deployment Scanner does not show problems or issues on this server? It might be a reinstall of the OS, then applying patches, then install EV resolves this. If you have the time that is.

Can you provide the exact DCOM error you get?

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

"DCOM is enabled but the Windows Firewall is preventing entry on TCP Port 135. This Port must be unblocked in the Windows Firewall settings for DCOM to work correctly".

I followed the tech note but it failed the same on the re-install.

I had taken a snapshot , so reverted back ok.

Trace
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Try executing FileReRegister.bat (admin command prompt in dir C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault) after binaries reinstall.