Did you mean: 

DCOM errors when opening vaulted items

kentb0
Level 2
Exchange 2003
Outlook 11
Vault 7000200000
Previous case 320-077-386

For users who do not have debug rights on the client machine, events of the form below are generated when a vaulted item is opened.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date:  01/11/2007
Time:  09:52:19
User:  domain\user
Computer: machine
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}
 to the user domain\user SID (S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxx).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Depending on the domain account there is different behaviour
Primary mailbox domain account
    DCOM Error on first vault item open
    DCOM Error on closing Outlook
Accounts in a trusted domain
    Two DCOM Errors for each vault item open

The DCOM error is caused by the user not being a member of the "Debugger Users" local group, which means that they do not have DCOM activation rights to the "Machine Debug Manager", normal users should not be able to debug applications as that gives them more rights than they need. Also the vault client does not need the MDM to function.

Removing the WebDebugging Office 11 feature uninstalls the MDM, and so by stops the errors, but we do not want to do that because, it stops the ability of admins diagnosing issues

In the next release please stop the MDM being initialised unless it is going to be used, then these spurious event log entries will be removed. Having lots of errors in the EventLog makes it more difficult to investigate problems, especially these red-herring ones.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Did you report your findings to Symantec Technical Support?

Jim S.

kentb0
Level 2
Yes, this issue has been through tech support, case  referance 320-077-386, the engineer said to log a feature request on the site to get the code changed. This forum is the nearest I could find to a feature request page.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Here is the site.

And here is my opinion.

Reopen the case and verify that this is reported to Senior techs and they should decide if this will be reported to Engineering. I would think engineering would be interested in this issue. Not sure if you spoke with a Senior tech.

Jim S.

kentb0
Level 2
Thanks for the link, I have submitted a request, if there is no response I will reopen the call.