Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS alias for EV

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I want to change the DNS alias for my EV server, i know the procedure on how to change it from the computerentry table. My concern is that once i change the DNS alias, will the shortcuts of the EV archived items in Outlook and OWA point to the new DNS alias automatically or is there some procedure for it.

I will also be moving EV server (standalone, version 9) from Windows Server 2003 32 bit to Windows Server 2008 64 bit, will be following this technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55377. There is a note in the technote which says the following;

Note: If the Operating System is also being upgraded from 32bit to 64bit and the default locations are being used for shopping, indexing etc then they will need to be updated to reflect the changed install location of the Enterprise Vault binaries.

In my case I will be using the same location for shopping and indexes as in my current EV server and it is not the default location. For the Vault stores , will be moving them to a CIFS share on NETAPP so will do the changes on the EV server to reflect the vault store location change. Apart from this when i move to a 64 bit system the install path for EV binaries changes as EV gets installed in ProgramFiles(x86) instead of ProgramFiles in 32 bit systems, so as per the Note above , do i need to update something to reflect this changed install location of the EV binaries ? nothing is given in the technote with regards to this.

Appreciate the help.

Majid.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Wayne is a silly bear, the contents of the EV shortcuts do contain links to attachments and the original item You will have to use the RestoreShortcutBody registry key and then do a run now using shortcut processing only Once complete, remove the registry key, you can find more about it here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47364 Oh and don't forget to add the new alias to your trusted sites list for IE As for the install path question, nothing on the server needs be changed because when you install the server it will create the Rey keys and such that show the install directory and when you run the config utility to join the server to the site it will update the install path in the computer entry table He technote is just giving you a friendly warning that because it has changed to (x86) that your shopping location might break and to update it
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Shortcuts do not contain the server alias in it, so it has no affect. shortcuts only contain the site name...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Wayne is a silly bear, the contents of the EV shortcuts do contain links to attachments and the original item You will have to use the RestoreShortcutBody registry key and then do a run now using shortcut processing only Once complete, remove the registry key, you can find more about it here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47364 Oh and don't forget to add the new alias to your trusted sites list for IE As for the install path question, nothing on the server needs be changed because when you install the server it will create the Rey keys and such that show the install directory and when you run the config utility to join the server to the site it will update the install path in the computer entry table He technote is just giving you a friendly warning that because it has changed to (x86) that your shopping location might break and to update it

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Oh bollox JW sorry mate, I had overlooked that, i was not thinkining of the contents of the shortcuts /me *shakes_head*

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks JW for helping me out. Just another concern, with 200 archived users and lots of archived emails shortcuts present, will the shortcut processing task be very resource intensive on the EV and exchange server? and any other thing i should be concerned about when changing the DNS alias?

Regarding CIFS share, what permissions do i need to assign to it, should i give only the vault admin access to the CIFS share or everyone needs access to the CIFS share where i will be locating my Vault stores.

Common sense says that since the vault stores will have user archives, all users will need access to the CIFS share, but will read only rights for the users do in this scenario. I am a little confused.

Thank you Wayne too.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Shortcut Proccessing does hammer the exchange server, but thats when I was doing about 5,000 users per server.

So with 200 users you should not notice a thing ;p

JesusWept3
Level 6
Yeah you're not gonna notice much, you'll most likely see the exchange transaction logs grow bigger than normal though As for the CIFS question, local admins is all you need to the share so that the evadmin accept has full write access to it, users when they attempt to retrieve an item will basically instruct the EV processes such as storageonlineopns.exe to go and retrieve the item for them from disk and then returns the message to the user As long as the user has access to their archives you won't have any issue The one thing you should be careful of though is not to lockdown the enterprise vault installation directory too hard because if authenticated or domain users are not listed on the directory then end users will get service unavailable errors when attempting to retrieve emails or search their archive or synch their vault cache etc

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks again JW and Wayne, really appreciate your support.

BR

Majid.