cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data purge Enteprise vault for Exchange v 7.5

Sabir
Level 3

Hi

I had Vault 2007 v 7.5 and as the size of the Evault server increases day by day. I exported the archive of ex users to PST file and remove their record cimpletely. Still I bilieve the size didnt come down as expected. Is there anything else to do for defragmentation in the EV server data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will look on the properties of the vault store partitions to see if collections are enabled.

FYI..just because the Usage.asp says an archive is 500 mb doesn't mean you will get 500 mb of free space if you delete it.  The size on the usage.asp is uncompressed and doesn't account for single-instance. 

If you compare the size the Usage.asp says with the actual amount of data on disk how does that match up?

Do you expiry anything based on age?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you use Collections at all?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Sabir
Level 3

I am not sure whether we are using Collection in the current setup. where do I check this.

Currently Exchange Mail and Journal are the activated part in EV with a single Vault store. Numbe rof total partitions in the store is 7.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will look on the properties of the vault store partitions to see if collections are enabled.

FYI..just because the Usage.asp says an archive is 500 mb doesn't mean you will get 500 mb of free space if you delete it.  The size on the usage.asp is uncompressed and doesn't account for single-instance. 

If you compare the size the Usage.asp says with the actual amount of data on disk how does that match up?

Do you expiry anything based on age?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Sabir,

To see the change / large space it is require to delete the archives in major chunk, then only you will be able to see the change.

EV is using single instance and as per mentioned by Tony the data is stored in single form but it reflect in report as calculated. Suppose there is one archived email part of many user archives and it you delete one archive but that same email is present in other user archive then the size will not reduce unless all the archives associate with that emails is deleted.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If collection is enabled (you can check this under the partition properties), then Enterprise Vault will not remove physically the DVS file from the CAB file until it reaches certain amount of items deleted within the collection file. Take a look at this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87400

Also, you mentioned that Exchange Mail and Journal are in a single Vault store. If sharing is enabled, then you will not see too much space back in the storage due to SIS.

I hope this helps.

Sabir
Level 3
Thanks for the replies

Sabir
Level 3
Thanks for the replies