cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommission Enterprise vault server

MorsiSaeed
Level 4

I have a scenario with one our clients

we have one ev site, contains 4 ev servers for exchange archiving, 2 ev servers for smtp journaling, and 1 ev server for share point archiving.

we want to decommission 3 ev servers dedicated for exchnage archiving and oly leave one ev server

for more clarification if we have evex1,2,3,4 we want to move all VS on evex2,3,4 and indexes to evex1.

what is the best way to do that.

Keep in your mind each vault store partition is NTFS and contains more than 5 T.B of data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No problem. The shortcut in the mailbox points to the item in the archive. If I recall correct (it's been a while since working with mbx archiving), the shortcut contains the EV serveralias/name. If (....) you use aliasses, then you could change DNS and have the 3 'consolidated' aliasses point to the remaining server. (ie EV1 = server1, EV2 = server1, EV3 = server1). 

Set backup mode on EV, then move the locations, and verify EV runs properly. Then check functionality of shortcuts (ask few users to retrieve item with shortcut, and also item using Archive Explorer and search). Once that is ok, clear backup mode.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

Hello Morsi,

Are the Vault Store Partitions local to the EV servers, or are they SAN/NAS disks? Will you continue to archive from Exchange? If yes, be sure to not overload that 1 server.

Now, to move VS/VSP, you can start with document Doc1 After having done that, you need to also move the indexes.

To move the indexes, follow Doc2 

It looks complicated, but it is not. I have done this several times in the past, without issues. Make sure that consolidated server has sufficient RAM and CPU, to allow retrievals, and also to allow expiry (if used), and necessary index-operations.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for your reply, yes we used 4 ev servers just during the exchange migration but now we can use one server with 240 GB of RAM and 32 CPU are enough.

Also as those VSP are NTFS i think we can attach the VMDK disk from the old server to the new one then we can proceed with article.

but what about the shortcut. should i run shortcut processing to match the new VSP location on each archive. or it just enough to add link to every archived item.

GertjanA

No problem. The shortcut in the mailbox points to the item in the archive. If I recall correct (it's been a while since working with mbx archiving), the shortcut contains the EV serveralias/name. If (....) you use aliasses, then you could change DNS and have the 3 'consolidated' aliasses point to the remaining server. (ie EV1 = server1, EV2 = server1, EV3 = server1). 

Set backup mode on EV, then move the locations, and verify EV runs properly. Then check functionality of shortcuts (ask few users to retrieve item with shortcut, and also item using Archive Explorer and search). Once that is ok, clear backup mode.

Regards. Gertjan