Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommission File System Archiving with Sharing Enabled

AlanJ
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

Got a client who ran an FSA POC but due to them using DFS with replication, they have not put FSA into production.

They therefore would like it to be removed, however the SQL team dismounted the FSA DB which caused havoc with the storage for mailbox archiving and so the DB it was subsequently re-mounted.

As there is sharing enabled, I believe that there are some SQL entires, I guess in the fingerprint DB, that need to be removed first before deleting the servers and the Vault Store.

Is that correct?

Does anyone have any information / docs on this?

The environment is EV 9.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

OK, that sounds a bit more reasonable.  There was a POC and it wasn't cleaned up properly.

What you will need to do is to manually clean up the old server tasks and services entries directly in the database.  You might want to open a case with Symantec to get some documented steps so you are covered. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

So you can't just unmount the database without first deleting the vault stores.

Can you share the exact procedures used to disable FSA archiving?

If there are items shared between FSA and Mailbox archving you will may need to keep the vault store database around but not necessarily the FSA tasks.

First thing you can do is start by deleting the FSA archives and then check the FSA Vault Store paritions to see if any files are left. 

Also, if you have reporting installed check the reports for SIS.

Monitoring the archive space reduction due to single instance storage

Article:HOWTO57211  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-01-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57211

GertjanA

And, you might want to restore the items from the archive first to the original location (or an alternate). For that, you also do need the database!

Regards

Regards. Gertjan

AlanJ
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

As this is a new client of ours, from what I can tell is that there was a seperate FSA server and at some point or other, which (the server itself) was decommissioned without removing it from EV so it is still listed however the services display an error when connecting to them for obvious reasons.

What we found was that when the FSA DB was dismounted, we could not add any new storage for mail archiving as EV would enter a loop state and would eventually hang so the only way round this was to reboot the server.

SIS is used, however I will need to confirm with the client, but I think that the files were separate to emails.

I think that this POC was done 2 - 3 years ago and so the files have never been used since.

TonySterling

OK, that sounds a bit more reasonable.  There was a POC and it wasn't cleaned up properly.

What you will need to do is to manually clean up the old server tasks and services entries directly in the database.  You might want to open a case with Symantec to get some documented steps so you are covered.