Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning Enterprise Vault

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We have 2 EV's EV1 is responsible to archive Exchange mail archives, EV2 was responsible for Exchange Journal Archive on the same site. There is two Vault Store under one Vault Store Group. One for Mail Archive(Index and Vault Store and partitions on EV1), other one for Journal Archive(Index, Vault Store and partitions on EV2). Share within the Vault Store selected.

It was stoped archiving Journal with EV2 two years ago. There is Journal Vault Store, 2 closed partitions and Index still resting on EV2. (1TB Journal Archive)

We decided to remove EV2 from system. By deleting old Journal Archive. I did read articles including this one:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100002202

My senario was;

• Delete Journal Archive (Is Index will be delete same time?)
  • Delete Partitions
  • Delete Journal Vault  Store
  • Delete EV2 Services as in the article above.
  • Then delete EV2 from EV1's Administrator Console.

I take over this EV Domain 1 month ago. Two Vault Stores exist here one for mail archiving, one for Journal archiving. Sharing within the VaultStore selected under Vault Store Group. But this was maybe changed before. I don't know the history of this domain. How can I be sure this was never shared within the group before?

What is the recommended way to get rid of my EV2?

Thanks

Vaultlearner

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Vault Learner,

Is there a retention for the Journaled items? If yes, you need to set that SAME retention to 1 year, and set it to allow deletions. IF your data is on WORM, start expiring that Journal Archive(s).

The caveat is indeed "share within group". It is (as far as I know) not possible to determine when that was set, just that it is set. The only thing you can do is indeed to do the steps you indicated. When removing the partition(s) in EV, they either will delete, or you will get a message "it cannot be deleted due to shared data". If that is the case, you can move the partitions to EV1 server. (see this KB), then delete the services, remove the server etc.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

GertjanA

Hello,

You need to check the retention definition, to see if it allows deletion. If your archive is on WORM, you are in trouble..

Before you delete the archive from the console, first check how many items you have in there. A large archive can take weeks, if not months to delete.

Items in archive: on EV Server, log in as VSA. Open browser, goto http : // localhost / enterprisevault / usage.asp

(remove spaces :) )

In the webpage showing, check items in Journal Archive.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello Vault Learner,

Is there a retention for the Journaled items? If yes, you need to set that SAME retention to 1 year, and set it to allow deletions. IF your data is on WORM, start expiring that Journal Archive(s).

The caveat is indeed "share within group". It is (as far as I know) not possible to determine when that was set, just that it is set. The only thing you can do is indeed to do the steps you indicated. When removing the partition(s) in EV, they either will delete, or you will get a message "it cannot be deleted due to shared data". If that is the case, you can move the partitions to EV1 server. (see this KB), then delete the services, remove the server etc.

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Gertjan,

Sorry for the late reply, Retention was set infinitive. I was thinking delete Journal Archive direct from console. Do you think it is going work from console? And How about index of this Journal Archive is this index going to delete itself?

For the second part of your reply, thank you for way you just pointed. Good advice.

Thanks again,

Vautlearner.

GertjanA

Hello,

You need to check the retention definition, to see if it allows deletion. If your archive is on WORM, you are in trouble..

Before you delete the archive from the console, first check how many items you have in there. A large archive can take weeks, if not months to delete.

Items in archive: on EV Server, log in as VSA. Open browser, goto http : // localhost / enterprisevault / usage.asp

(remove spaces :) )

In the webpage showing, check items in Journal Archive.

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Ok will check WORM and if it allows deletion.

How about indexes of this Journal Archive? Are they going to delete with along with Archive as well?

Thanks again.

VaultLearner

GertjanA

Short answer = Yes.

Long answer: If items are deleted from an archive, they are first deleted from the Index, then from Disk, then from SQL. This is because if an item is deleted (manual/automatic), you do not want to find that in a Discovery search. Item not in index = item not found. The actual data might still be on disk, but will be removed later on.

Regards. Gertjan