cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning Exchange server from EV

gockenbr
Level 3

We recently migrated to Exchange 2010 from 2007 and we are to the point of decommissioning our old Exchange 2007 server as all mailboxes have been migrated to 2010 server. I have been following the instructions listed here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50256 however when running the SQL queries to determine if any mailboxes are still active on the old Exchange server its showing there are 170. 

All the mailboxes have been migrated to the new server. When I go to the synchronization tab of the Exchange mailbox archiving task for the new server or old server and try doing selected mailboxes it show no mailboxes available. What am I missing? How do I get these mailbox archives to point at the new server so I can remove the old.

Thanks,

Brad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Did you run this part of the TN?  

For EV versions 7.0 and later, run the Exchange Provisioning Task using the VAC, then run the Exchange Synchronization process and confirm that there are no pending mailboxes (See Step 4).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you run these and report the results back

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT MbxArchivingState, count(MbxArchivingState)
FROM   ExchangeMailboxEntry
WHERE ExchangeServerIdentity = 'Step3_Result'

GROUP BY MbxArchivingState

and also

SELECT MbxExchangeState, count(MbxExchangeState)
FROM   ExchangeMailboxEntry
WHERE ExchangeServerIdentity = 'Step3_Result'

GROUP BY MbxExchangeState

gockenbr
Level 3

Those queries didn't work so I ran the following to try to obtain what you were looking for:

I ran - 

SELECT MbxArchivingState, count(MbxArchivingState)
FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry EME
INNER JOIN ExchangeMailboxStore EMS ON EME.MbxStoreIdentity = EMS.MbxStoreIdentity
INNER JOIN ExchangeServerEntry ESE ON ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = EMS.ExchangeServerIdentity
WHERE ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = 3

GROUP BY MbxArchivingState

and it produced 
MbxArchivingState (No column name)
0 108
1 60
2 1
3 1

And I ran - 

SELECT MbxExchangeState, count(MbxExchangeState)
FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry EME
INNER JOIN ExchangeMailboxStore EMS ON EME.MbxStoreIdentity = EMS.MbxStoreIdentity
INNER JOIN ExchangeServerEntry ESE ON ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = EMS.ExchangeServerIdentity
WHERE ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = 3

GROUP BY MbxExchangeState

and it produced - 
MbxExchangeState (No column name)
0 117
1 10
2 43

Please advise.

-Brad

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Okay, so here is what those mean:

MbxExchangeState
 0 = NORMAL, 1 = DELETED, 2 = HIDDEN

MbxArchivingState
 0 = NONE, 1 = ENABLED, 2 = DISABLED

In the column LegacyMbxDN are the entries prefixed with something like this? (MARKED @ 00:00:00 99/99/99).  If yes, you can just delete those rows.

gockenbr
Level 3

None of them were prefixed with that.

Please advise.

-Brad

Steve_Bally
Level 4

All,

I am in the same boat with the migrations, but we know for a fact that there are archives that are orphaned with no active mailbox.

My question is will the archives still be accessible to accounts that have been granted rights, even though the archive is pointing to the old exchange server that is goint to be removed?

Is there a procedure to point the orphaned archives to the new exchange server for access only, no archiving of course?

Regards,

Steve

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Did you run this part of the TN?  

For EV versions 7.0 and later, run the Exchange Provisioning Task using the VAC, then run the Exchange Synchronization process and confirm that there are no pending mailboxes (See Step 4).

gockenbr
Level 3

I did run the provisioning task and sync process but with no change. After doing some more digging I looked at the provisioning task report and server event logs. I found a couple of issues. First was the throttling script was run but not on the right user. Minor mistake but one that was fixed.

The next thing found was that there was no target(s) set for any of the provisioning groups. Not sure how the targets got removed but at any rate I added back in the Exchange organization and re-ran the provision task and sync process. After doing that the list of users shrunk down to 32 from the 170 that were on the old originally. I did some more verification and it appears that all the remaining users were old users that no longer exist in AD.

I found the following article  - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53096 which talked about how to remove the mailboxes from EV that no longer have a provisioning group. Now that the row from the DB have been deleted the Query comes back with nothing. So I'm now working on removing the old server from EV.

Thanks for all you help on this. This has been resolved.

Thanks,

Brad

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Brad please mark the appropriate post as a solution 

gockenbr
Level 3

Steve,

I found the following article  - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53096 which talked about how to remove the mailboxes from EV that no longer have a provisioning group. After figuring out what mailboxes were orphaned I went into the DB and removed them. I can't however answer whether or not you'll still be able to access the archives because most of my users mailboxes aren't archived and all that I deleted contained no items. I think you will be able to though as the archives (though they contain nothing) still show up. Don't quote me on that though.

Thanks,

Brad