cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning Exchange servers

yarg
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm trying to follow this technote: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50256
The problem is that I'm failing already at step 1!

When I run this query in SQL:
USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory
SELECT *
FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry EME
INNER JOIN ExchangeMailboxStore EMS ON EME.MbxStoreIdentity = EMS.MbxStoreIdentity
INNER JOIN ExchangeServerEntry ESE ON ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = EMS.ExchangeServerIdentity
WHERE ESE.ExchangeServerIdentity = 'ResultFromPrevious'

I get over 200 results.  However, those mailboxes no longer even exist; these users have left our organisation a long time ago, their mailboxes were deleted, but it seems like that was never synchronised with EV.  Can anyone suggest please how to clean that up?  I'm trying to remove 2 Exchange servers which have no more mailboxes and no mailbox DBs on them.  However EV, at least at a SQL level, still believes that there are archive-enabled mailboxes on the servers.

Any help much appreciated....
Thanks,
G

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you best bet is to remove those entries from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table.

View solution in original post

TonySterling

Yep, that will work.  To stop the 41141's just delete the provisioning groups

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes that would be ok. those two operations are not related.

11 REPLIES 11

AndrewB

do the archives still exists for those 200 mailboxes?

yarg
Level 4

For some of them the archives still exist, for some not....

TonySterling

I think you best bet is to remove those entries from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table.

AndrewB

are you able to run a mailbox sync and provisioning against that exchange server?

yarg
Level 4

When we run a provisioning task we get a large number of event 41141 warning events.  As a bit of background, we no longer archive any mailboxes; all archives are there purely for historical purposes.  Newly created mailboxes are not being enabled for archiving.

So it's ok for us to just manually remove all those entries directly from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table?

TonySterling

Yep, that will work.  To stop the 41141's just delete the provisioning groups

yarg
Level 4

So because we are not archiving any mailboxes any more, we can remove the provisioning groups?

That won't impact on the users who have archives being able to access their archives?

yarg
Level 4

We are also deleting a number of archives for users who have left, so they are marked for deletion and running the SQL query I can see that the number of items remaining for deletion are about 1.9 million and are coming down all the time, albeit slowly.  Can I remove the provisioning task while all that is going on?

Thanks!

AndrewB

yes that would be ok. those two operations are not related.

AndrewB

correct - and Tony's advice is spot on.

yarg
Level 4

I'll try doing that then.  Many thanks for your help!