cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleetd mails are restored while unstubbing the vaulted mails

Shaice
Level 3

I have an issue ,Deleetd mails are restored while unstubbing the vaulted mails to the original mailbox or PST, how can we fix this ?

Any help on this is much appriciated

Regards

Mikey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Answer to your First question is simply 'NO'. Your modified policy settings would not be apply to current items. Archived emails will be there untill it expire from EV.

Answer to your second question, In my knowledge there is no procedure to export email to PST/mailbox based shortcut user mailbox have.

You can have following workaround.

1.Let the user's inform to delete their archived item from vault via archive explorer (outlook option or open http://evserver/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp) by comparing mailbox shortcut and archive emails and they can delete unwanted emails as well.

2. Export archives to mailbox and let the user decide which emails they want in mailbox, delete rest of them then perform archiving.

It's EV feature to keep mailbox size at managable limit & can keep old email in archive for longer period of time at lower cost, for short period they can access email via stub (shortcut). Stubs can be deleted further to save mailbox size but old emails can access via Archive explorer.  As Gabe informed EV has a functionality called 'orphan shortcut', but it's exactly the opposite. If the email was deleted from the archive, EV removes the 'orphan' shortcut from the mailbox, not the other way around.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You mean EV items are being restored from the Dumpster?
or do you mean you have shortcuts to EV items that you deleted, and you just wanted to restore items with shortcuts, but now everything is getting exported back to the mailbox?

Either way, its expected behavior

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

If I correctly understand your question, you mean to say "During 'export to original mail box' or 'Export to PST' items comes to mailbox (or PST) even if their shortcuts (stub) are either deleted OR NOT Exist in mailbox?"

This is expected behavior of export as it does not check the presence of shortcut in mailbox, It will restore all the items those present in EV archive ( Obviously you can have export criteria such as folder, date range...etc).

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When user delete the shortcuts from mailbox its not necessary that archived item is also deleted for that shortcut. When you export archived items, you will see the items for which shortcut dos not exist in the mailbox.

In future, if you want archived items to be deleted when user deletes the shortcut, then the policy config and site settings to allow that action.

I hope that helps.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Could you please explain the issue in brief.

Shaice
Level 3

Yes- you understood it correctly.Do we have any option to avoide this.can we restore or unstubb only the emails that have a stub remaining in the inbox? The users are deleting the stubs over time and when we restore the archived mail, we put everything back into inbox, including deleted messages. This is causing problems with the users.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

In my experience, it's not possible to restore/export only to the emails those shortcut exist in mail box. You should really make put enhancement request.
Additionally you can enable EV restore options from desktop policy & allow users to restore the archived emails those they want.

Shaice
Level 3

So you mean to say that the deafut policy will not delete from archive when you delete the shoutcut from the inbox. Wherecan I chck this settings ?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is a desktop policy setting called Outlook Behavior > Shortcut Deletion under the Options Tab. By default, it's configured as Shortcut Only.

I hope this helps.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

As said by default when user initiate deletion of shortcut then associated archived does not delete. So if perform export to mailbox or PST,  then all items would be restore including emails those shortcut deleted by user in past.

If you want to change this behaviour then change aprropriate desktop policy (desktop policy \option \ last option 'shortcut deletion behaviour = both deleted) to allow deletion of archived items at the same time shortcut deletion request initiated from user's machine.

You also need to allow deltion from EV site settings (Archive setting tab \ check box on 'user's can delete items from their vault') & Retention caterory should NOT prevent deletion (uncheck on 'prevent deletion of archived items in this category'). And items should not be on DA HOLD.

I hope above this explain clearly your issue.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do you need anything else with regards to this issue?

Working for cloudficient.com

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

To delete Enterprise Vault archived item from outlook you need to do 3 settings on EV Server .

1. Change the "Shortcut Deletion : Both Deleted" in Desktop policy and synchronize the all users.

2. From "Retention Category" make sure "Prevent deletion of archvied items ib this category" option is not checked.

3. From EV Site properties select "Archive Settings" tab and make sure "Users can delete items from their archives" is checked mark.

Hope this will help you.

Shaice
Level 3

Thanks for the updates, If I put a new policy now and do a resync, will it apply to the old mails…means Will it delete the old mails from archival which are removed from inbox and available in the Archival?

My requirement is that, we need the exact copy of the inbox should be converted to PST not the all the mails available in the archival

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Enterprise Vault deletes data from the archives in two cases: (1) Item was already expired, based on the retention category, and storage expiry is configured to run. Then, any expired item is deleted from the archives. (2) Users are allow to delete items from their archives. In this case, Enterprise Vault needs to be confgured to allow users to delete from the archives (site settings, desktop policy and retention category).

Now, if the EV shortcut was already deleted from the mailbox, Enterprise Vault cannot determine which item hasn't an existnig shortcut in the mailbox. Thus, if you apply the new settings in the desktop policy, it won't be retroactive because it needs user interaction during the process, i.e. the user needs to delete the shortcut from the mailbox in order to delete the item from the archive.

Enterprise Vault has a functionality called orphan shortcut, but it's exactly the opposite. If the item was deleted from the archive, EV removes the 'orphan' shortcut from the mailbox, not the other way around. Unfortunately, there isn't an option in EV for that.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Answer to your First question is simply 'NO'. Your modified policy settings would not be apply to current items. Archived emails will be there untill it expire from EV.

Answer to your second question, In my knowledge there is no procedure to export email to PST/mailbox based shortcut user mailbox have.

You can have following workaround.

1.Let the user's inform to delete their archived item from vault via archive explorer (outlook option or open http://evserver/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp) by comparing mailbox shortcut and archive emails and they can delete unwanted emails as well.

2. Export archives to mailbox and let the user decide which emails they want in mailbox, delete rest of them then perform archiving.

It's EV feature to keep mailbox size at managable limit & can keep old email in archive for longer period of time at lower cost, for short period they can access email via stub (shortcut). Stubs can be deleted further to save mailbox size but old emails can access via Archive explorer.  As Gabe informed EV has a functionality called 'orphan shortcut', but it's exactly the opposite. If the email was deleted from the archive, EV removes the 'orphan' shortcut from the mailbox, not the other way around.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Hi Shaice,

I hope you got sufficient information from this thread, Please let us know if we can assist you anything more on this issue.

Regards

EV-C

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We are more happy to help you , if have any issue.