Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Subfolder From FSA Archive

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We are archiving Windows File Server from Volume level. Like D$, H$ and subfolders.

Archive Points created on VAC like D$, H$..

We want to delete one subfolder under this volumes. For example "H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel". We want to delete only "Excel" folder and items in it  from FSA archive completely

We restored example path already original place and give exclude not archive it anymore.

Should we use PowerShell cmdlet;

Remove-EVFSAFolder

Or we first convert "Excel" folder Archive Point and then use this command:

To delete the archive points:

ArchivePoints delete archive_point_path_share_name

One other way; export that folder from Export Wizard to PST with Export wizard we can use option remove after export.

When we try export wizard we neary tried every possible way to export from spesific path it didn't work. Result of  export report seems succesfull but  PST file never created.

We tried this paths:

\\fileserver.domain.com\H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel

\fileserver.domain.com\H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel

\H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel

\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel

\Excel

Thanks

VaultLearner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Can,

What I meant to say is that it is not the most effective way to export FSA archives...especially large ones. 

You should be able to add the path in the following format \\fileserver.domain.com\H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel and that should work.  This is if that path is correct from the ArchiveFolderView.  

You can find the FolderPath listed in the database using the following query.  The Archive ID is found on the Advanced tab of the archive properties in the vault console.  

USE ENTERPRISEVAULTDIRECTORY
SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView
WHERE ArchiveVEID = 'Archive ID from GUI'
AND FolderName = 'Excel'

I confirmed this in lab.  The following shows the path I added to export as \\fileserver.ev.local\Data\Reports\DBUpgrade

FSA_to_PST.JPG

Regards,

Patrick 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi vaultlearner,

You will need to remove all of the items in that folder from Enteprise Vault Search (EVS) or configured Delete on Delete (DoD) and delete the archived items from the file server.  The Allow delete operations must be configured on the Search policy for EVS to allow deletes as well as site setting Users can delete items from archives.  

The DoD setting is for the volume so any items within that volume would now be able to be deleted unless a Safety folder was configured.  The files have to be placeholders to perform DoD from the file server object. 

Safety folders. The list shows folders that have been defined as safety folders on this file server. When a placeholder in one of these folders is deleted, the corresponding archived item is not deleted.

Need to ensure that Delete on Delete is configured properly.

Site- The Archive Settings tab must have Users can delete items from archives checked.

Server- The Delete Placeholder tab must have Delete archived file checked.

Policy- The Shortcuts tab on the policy must have Delete archived file when placeholder is deleted checked.

Archive Properties - Advanced tab - Allow deletion of archived items and of this archive checked.

Retention category - Details tab must not have Prevent user deletion of items in this category checked.

Once folder has no archived items you can use https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/115749471-137825802-0/v9030265-137825802 to remove the empty folder from EVS. 

The Remove-EVFSAFolder only removes the configured target folder for archiving but does not remove any archived data.  

Since this is an FSA archive the export to PST is not valid. 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Patrick 

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Plaudone1,

Thank you for detailed explanation.

DoD option first thing I was thinking. But I didn't know about regisry key. It can work for me.

But you said "Since this is an FSA archive the export to PST is not valid."

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/122185187-122185191-0/v11743044-122185191

Here it says you can export FSA.

I tried to Export Archive Point to the PST without selecting path I select "Export All Items" and it works with no issue for FSA Archive then I collect that files from PST.

But since my purpose is delete subfolder which is not an archive point, I tried to select "Export All items from this root path" option on Export Wizard it didn't work for me. I was thinking I can export from the path I want while selecting "Remove exported İtems from  Archive "How can I select correct the path?

Maybe I can mark this Excel folder as a Archive Point then Export PST using Export All İtems(this doesn't comes with Remove exported items from archive as far as I know) or I can delete it from Vac?

Thanks

VaultLearner

Hi Can,

What I meant to say is that it is not the most effective way to export FSA archives...especially large ones. 

You should be able to add the path in the following format \\fileserver.domain.com\H$\User\Vaultlearner\Documents\Excel and that should work.  This is if that path is correct from the ArchiveFolderView.  

You can find the FolderPath listed in the database using the following query.  The Archive ID is found on the Advanced tab of the archive properties in the vault console.  

USE ENTERPRISEVAULTDIRECTORY
SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView
WHERE ArchiveVEID = 'Archive ID from GUI'
AND FolderName = 'Excel'

I confirmed this in lab.  The following shows the path I added to export as \\fileserver.ev.local\Data\Reports\DBUpgrade

FSA_to_PST.JPG

Regards,

Patrick 

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Patrick,

Thank you again.

It works very well thank you for patience and explanation. Exported Folder and check they are deleted from archive then I tried "DeleteEmptyFolders" reg set it 1 and restart storage service it didn't delete empty folders yet maybe it takes some time. I will wait that for the weeekend.

Thanks Again

Vaultlearner.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

If after the weekend you are ok with the result, can you then mark an answer as "solution"?

That will 'close' the question, and might assist others having the same question, and will also prevent others trying to answer your question. 

Thanks, have a good weekend.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi, 

That is great news and I am glad you were able to get what you needed.  It does take time to remove the folders as it has to process through ALL folders to validate.  

Have a good weekend and stay safe! 

Regards,

Patrick 

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Patrick,

We control today about empty folders but they didnt delete yet.  We added Dword give the value 1 last friday.  There are no items under folders we are sure about it. Maybe wait little bit more?

DeleteEmptyFolders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 \SOFTWARE
  \Wow6432Node
   \KVS
    \Enterprise Vault
     \Storage

Content

DWORD. Set to non-zero to enable.

Thanks 

Vault Learner

Hi, 

Does that folder have any sub-folders?  If so it cannot be deleted since is is not "empty". 

If not, are there items in the JournalDelete table in the vault store from when you ran the deletion?  

USE VAULTSTORENAME
SELECT * FROM JournalDelete
WHERE DeleteDate > '2020-04-15 00:00:00' -- This should be the day the export was run.

If items are returned what is the DeletionStatus of the items. 

Regards,

Patrick 

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Patrick,

It deleted folders thank you so much for your help this case resolved.

Regards,

Vault Learner