Did you mean: 

Delete a Vault Store & Partition after archive migration

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Greetings,

Hoping this is an easy question.  :)

EV 12.5.2 on Windows Server 2012 R2

I just finished moving 60+ Exchange Mailbox archives from some old storage (ExchangeMailbox VaultStore) onto Dell EMC ECS (EmailStorage Vault Store).

I now want to delete the old Vault store (ExchangeMailbox) but noticed that there is still quite a bit of disk storage 'in use' there.  I previously set sharing to 'No Sharing' and wasn't expecting much to be left on the old storage.

Is the old VS and VSP safe to delete now?  Is there some way to tell if there is still something in the old VS that needs to be kept?

many thanks,

Joseph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Start by checking the saveset table of this VS. Are there still entries availble? 

If so, perform a Verify - DatabaseReferences operation against it.

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marcde

Hi Joseph,

how did you migrate / move them?

Have the old archives in the old VS all successfully been deleted? 

Did you migrate from one VSG to another? 

There are some EVSR verify operation that could help understanding if the data available is still referenced somewhere. We've had a few situations in the past where even though all archives were deleted successfully, items were left where the process of dereferencing had not worked properly but in this case I'd recommend involving Veritas technical support to go through everything together with them. 

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I used the 'Move Archive Wizard' exclusively to move every archive.

Yes all of the old archives have successfully been deleted from the old VS.

No both the old VS and the new VS are in the same VSG.

Marcde

Start by checking the saveset table of this VS. Are there still entries availble? 

If so, perform a Verify - DatabaseReferences operation against it.

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

There are no entries for the old VS in the saveset table.  :)

Guess I'm good to go.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello everyone,

I wanted to circle back on this topic since the Vault Store I was trying to rid myself of is still there "Deleting" according to the EVAC.  I have had a case open with support for weeks and today was told that the reason the VS is not deleting is because there are parts left in the folder structure that are being referenced by the archives in their new location.

Support then told me I need to engage Veritas consulting to get this data migrated (again) so that the Vault Store can finally be deleted.  Hoping some of the gurus on this board can lend a hand or share some knowledge so I can resolve this.

Just to summarize:  It's an EV 12.5.2 environment. There was an older Vault Store homed on NetApp storage that housed all of the Exchange mailbox archives. Sharing was enabled between this older VS and a new VS which is homed on EMC ECS.  All of the archives were migrated from the old VS to the new VS using Move Archive Wizard. 

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi. Do you know the number size and quantity of the archives? If it is a few, I would just use Move Archive to a location without sharing enabled. It is likely the sharing of the partition is what has you having these (by design) issues.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Currently it's 127 Exchange mailbox archives.

I just migrated them all in December (it took weeks to complete) and before I started I had 'disabled' the sharing feature fearing that it would cause this type of challenge.  I think the issue is that sharing WAS enabled at all and now there are .dvssc and .dvssp files in the old storage location that are being referenced by the archives which were moved to the new Vault Store.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Most migrations I have done have not been using Move Archive. I think that the behaivor you are describing should not happen IMHO. If you have a Vault store set to "no sharing" it should store full and complete, non-dependant data in there.... even if the data was "moved" into there from another. That is my understanding anyhow.

It is possile you are sharing with other VS's that are unrelated to the moved target. But I know you have been beating on this a while so I assume you have confirmed the Saveset parts are assocaited with the new target VS.