Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete archived items older than 6 month

mayu
Level 4

Hi All,

We are using EV 9.0.2/ Exchange 2010

We want to delete few users’ archived items older than 6 month from EV server. I have created the new retention category i.e. 6 month and assign that in the provisioning group. Earlier that users belongs to retention category i.e. retain items forever

My question is can storage expiry able to delete 6 months old emails which has different retention category earlier?

What is the best method to delete user’s archived emails older than 6 month?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Easiest way is to just change the existing retention categories to 6 months, however if you can't do that, then You would really have to use a third party tool like Globanets ReVise that will reassign items to different retention categories When you change a default retention category it only affects NEW items archived. It also will not affect any items in a folder assigned a custom retention category via EVPM or by the user themselves The only methods EV has to update retention categories are 1. Moved item updates with retention category update 2. Move Archive so you move someone's archive from one vault store to another 3. Export user to PST, delete the archive and reimport the PST to a new archive, however if you are doing expiry based on archived date, then you will have to wait 6 months longer for the items to be eligible for expiry And lastly, depending on your storage this may not be possible like if you have a centera in governance mode or a NetApp with snap lock, you cannot delete an item earlier than the original retention category it was archived under
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Assigning the new retentionpolicy means that items archived as of that time get the retention of 6 months.

Your old items still have the retention 'forever', and will therefor never expire.

What you might want to do is to change the old retention policy. Instead of having that as 'forever', change that retention policy to be 6 months. I believe that is sufficient.

If you have using EV for long time, it might be wise to do it in steps. I.e., do not set the old retention category to 6 months, but set it to 6 years. Make sure you have the expiry scheduled, do a run now in report mode, see what will get deleted, and if that is as expected.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Easiest way is to just change the existing retention categories to 6 months, however if you can't do that, then You would really have to use a third party tool like Globanets ReVise that will reassign items to different retention categories When you change a default retention category it only affects NEW items archived. It also will not affect any items in a folder assigned a custom retention category via EVPM or by the user themselves The only methods EV has to update retention categories are 1. Moved item updates with retention category update 2. Move Archive so you move someone's archive from one vault store to another 3. Export user to PST, delete the archive and reimport the PST to a new archive, however if you are doing expiry based on archived date, then you will have to wait 6 months longer for the items to be eligible for expiry And lastly, depending on your storage this may not be possible like if you have a centera in governance mode or a NetApp with snap lock, you cannot delete an item earlier than the original retention category it was archived under
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Very informative JW3....this should definately help.