cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete old email shortcuts

Veera_Door
Level 4

I've created a mailbox policy which should delete shortcuts older than 3 years, however it doesn't appear to be applying. I've confirmed that I am in the correct provisioning group and that the mailbox policy is applied to this provisioning group.

Is there somewhere locally that I can check to make sure this policy has applied to my client?

8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Normally, the shortcut expiry is based on when the item was archived.

Item arrived: 01.01.2007

Item archived: 01.07.2007

3 years would then be based on 01.07.2007, which would delete the shortcut on 01.07.2010.

Is this what you are experiencing?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Veera and Michel,

I have sort of the same issue. I noticed that on the shortcuts not disappearing, the last modification time is changing (obviously) when moving the shortcut somewhere else.

YOu can check by selecting a shortcut you expect to have been removed, than CTRL+SHIFT+click an EV-icon on the toolbar. Select Vault Information, scroll down to 'selected item properties'. That will show last modification time (amongst others), and also archived date (and time)

I believed that shortcut deletion was only looking at archived date, but it might might be that it is looking at the expiry in the site. Ours is set to 'modified date' instead of Archived date.

thx.

Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
yes gertjan, i think shortcut deletion respects this setting, too

Veera_Door
Level 4

Thanks for the responses, this will probably answer the question since we only implemented EV last year.

So despite the fact that I have an email that was recieved on 07/02/07 (so under my 3 years policy should be deleted) you're saying that this won't actually be deleted until 24/09/12 (as it was archived on 24/09/09)?

MichelZ
Level 6
Yes, this is correct, unless you change your storage expiry policy to be based on modified date. Cheers

Veera_Door
Level 4

In this example the modified date is the same, which means that the shortcut removal policy is never going to be accurately removing shortcuts until x years after the date the mailbox was enabled.

(x being the number of years before shortcut deletion).

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Veera,

Normally speaking you have expiry run on Archived date. As archived date in general does not change, that is the safest way. Besides this, you can tell your users that once an item is archived, the shortcut is removed from the mailbox after 1 year.

Basically if you archive after 1 month, you can tell your users that mail older than 13 months will only be retrievable using Archive Explorer and/or Search Vault.

you do need to think about how to configure it for now, but perhaps Support can assist.

Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6

From the EV Help file:

Modified date. Items in archives expire at the end of the Retention Period.

When you select Modified date, the start of the Retention Period is calculated as follows:

• For mail messages, this is the time since the message was received.

• For documents, it is the time since the document was last modified.

This is for storage expiry, but I believe this applies to Shortcut Deletion, too.

Cheers