cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete old server failed - fileserverentry table

ianG
Level 5

Hi folks,

Having some difficulty deleting an old server from our environment. It looks to be failing on an sql query - delete statement conflicted with a reference constraint

The table in question is FileServerEntry - big filthy error event ID below:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    Directory Service
Event ID:    13360
Date:        30/04/2012
Time:        14:56:29
User:        N/A
Computer:    server
Description:
An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: .\ADODataAccess.cpp (CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand) [lines {1392,1394,1409,1427}] built Apr 12 00:45:28 2010):

Description:  

The DELETE statement conflicted with the REFERENCE constraint "CONS_FK_COMPUTERENTRY_FILESERVERENTRY". The conflict occurred in database "EnterpriseVaultDirectory", table "dbo.FileServerEntry", column 'ComputerEntryId'.

SQL Command:
 DeleteComputer

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Number:       0x80040e2f
SQL State:    23000
Native Error: 00000547
HRESULT        0x80040e2f

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

I've updated the storageentrytable to repoint the vault stores to a newly comissioned server's storage service. But theres a computerentryid column in that fileserverentry table, and it has some entries for the old server though.. just wondering how to sort it out

We're running v8.0.4, but this environment have been upgraded over the years (from as far back as v5 I believe), so this could be as a result of that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hmmmmm..  I am looking in my FileServerEntry table and all of the ComputerEntryID fields are NULL.  Are you able to NULL that field?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hmmmmm..  I am looking in my FileServerEntry table and all of the ComputerEntryID fields are NULL.  Are you able to NULL that field?

ianG
Level 5

I have 30 or so rows in that table, and theres only 7 entries for ComputerEntryId - that same ID as the server Im trying to remove. All the others are NULL.

The rows that have a ComputerEntryId, also have '0' for EMCCellDHSMPortNum, while all the others have '5080'

So Im a little hessitant to just NULL the field, in case theres other knock-on effects

Ameen
Level 6

It looks like the entry of old server is still there in dbo.FileServerEntry, i had similar issues when I migrated a server and i had to clean the server entry by opening the table.

steps are,

-Backup the database

-Open the table and delete the row which contains the old computer id.

-Tray again

ianG
Level 5

Im a little hesitant to remove rows out of a table, especially when they look to correspond to active archiving server targets

I've logged a call, and will see what their recommendation is

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

each entry (row) in the fileserverentry table is unique and all you need to do after backing up the database is to highlight the row and then right click to delete. This should then allow you to delete the parent entry as the constraint will have been removed.

ianG
Level 5

Will this row be subsequently recreated by some process, without the problematic 'computerentryid'?

Ameen
Level 6

You have to only delete the enrty of old server and please backup the Directory Database before chaning the entry.

ianG
Level 5

Hi guys,

Looks like theres a bit of confusion here. Im trying to delete an Enterprise Vault server (application server, running storage service, directory services etc etc) from the environment - not a file server target. When I go to delete the application server, it throws the SQL error above, refering me to the fileserverentry table, where the application servers computerID is present (erroroniously?)

The above errors all get thrown on step 3 of this technote (How to remove an EV Server from a site):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135322

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the EV Server was ever a file server target then it would have been added to the fileserverentry table. If it wasn't then it is ok to delete the row, it won't come back. Don't forget the backup first just in case ;)

The EV servers are listed in the ComputerEntry table.

ianG
Level 5

AWMorris' solution was the one to go with in the end :)

Null'd the computerentryid fields, changed the relevant 'EMCCellDHSMPortNum' column entries to 5080 and that was that - allowed deletion then

thanks all