cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete some emails from archive

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I've red some posts about deleting emails from archive, but I want to clarify something.

I want to delete some not important emails from a fiew archives. Those elements not expired yet. I'm absolutly not allowed to give any user ability to delete any elements, even for awhile, but I'm allowed to prevent users from access to Vault for some minutes. So how should I organize the deletion? I think I can block access from user's VLANs to Vault (e.g. on OS system firewall), then uncheck 'Prevent deletion of archived items' and - as Admin (and from admin's VLAN) - delete emails from archives. Is this a good idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Also if no one can delete anything ever, deny access to 'deleteo2k.asp' for everyone except the admin account you wish to delete the items with.

And for the deletes, you can just do it via Archive Explorer or Search then you dont have to change any policies or sync anyone

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

When you make changes to policy etc, you need to synchronise them down to users so that they pick it up.

So, why not, add the VSA or your account permissions on the user(s) archive. Change the policy, and then Synch the added account only so it picks up the new delete function. Make sure a synch is not due during the period you are deleting.

Alternatively just create a new provisioning group add the users you want to have deletions for, add the delete enable user(s) to the archives permissions you want to delete and off you go.

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It looks very smart (the first option). I have to test it in my lab and I believe it's a much better way than my.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Also if no one can delete anything ever, deny access to 'deleteo2k.asp' for everyone except the admin account you wish to delete the items with.

And for the deletes, you can just do it via Archive Explorer or Search then you dont have to change any policies or sync anyone

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

So I assume, I should than have:

1. a constantly marked "Users can delete items from their archives" on Site properties,
  2. constantly marked "Delete from Vault - " Enabled" Feature (on user's Desktop Policy settings)
  3. not marked "Delete from Vault - "On toolbar" Feature
  4. and constantly blocked 'deleteo2k.asp' for anyone but "deleting user"

Then I should be able to delete elements from different vaults all the time but users not.

Am I right?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

...I do exactly in that way:

1. Add rights to read/write/delete for user1 on some other users vaults,
  2. Stop Exchange Provisioning Task to prevent inherit settings on site/policies,
  3. Set "Users can delete items from their archives" on Site properties,
  4. Run Exchange Mailbox Task synchronization for user1's mailbox,
  5. User1 restart Outlook (2 times)

and after all of this there is no Delete option active from context menu in Archive Explorer, right-clicking on element user1 want to delete from vault.

Any ideas?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

No one have had similar issue?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

This may help with regard to Archive Explorer and the Delete part, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54559

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I was thinking about implementation of WebApp.ini file, but I'm afraid of this solution's organization-wide impact: all users will have context menu "Remove" option active, but - after clicking it - they will get "You can't remove element from vault" error. It's not quite elegant, isn't it? Am I right it will behave as I've thought?

Thanks,

Kris.