We fairly recently updated Enterprise Vault for Exchange from 5.0 CP2 to SP5. At this point it would seem that Deleted Items no longer archives.
We run EVPM to set Deleted Items to a 7 day inactivity and the script is still running ok. I can check the properties of the other folders and all the settings including the inactivity and retention category settings are showing ok. The properties page for the Deleted Items just isn't there.
So far, I've done various digging around and haven't found much. It would appear that there is a registry setting archivedeleteditems which is set at HKLM\software\kvs\Enterprise Vault\agents which is supposed to enable this functionallity but this doesn't work either. I also understand that this is a legacy setting in version 6 and I cannot find any documentation on this setting for our current version.
Pretty stumped at what to try next. Anyone got any ideas or should I just forget about it until we get V6 installed?
Further to your comments Dave, I cannot see these events on the Vault server. I read about these on the support site on Monday and thought I'd cracked it, but there's nothing there. To confirm, do you mean Event ID 2236? Since your reply, I also tried moving my mailbox to an Exchange 2003 box we currently have running as part of our migration testing but I still cannot see the Enterprise Vault properties just on the deleted items folder. Is the DeletedItems keyword in EVPM still valid? Does Deleted Items vary at all from Sent Items because they are working perfectly. It's starting to look like a move to V6 is on the cards which I understand is quite a bit different..
OK. Thanks for trying all that other stuff. Looks like it was a red herring. Sorry.
-- This used to work OK in EV 5 CP2 and you've changed nothing else?
-- Moving the mailbox to Exchnage 2003 didn't help (ie things are not archving still).
-- You have SP1 for Exchange 2003 on the EV server.
-- You don't get those errors in the log (yup they are 2236 and also 3288 (which is to do with the mailbox being moved)
-- You used to have HKLM\software\kvs\enterprise vault\agents\archivdeleteditems = 1 set when you ran CP2?
-- You haven't re-enabled the mailbopx that has the problem since you upgraded?
This last one is important. Were you enabled (via EVPM) and archiving from deleted items at CP2 and then when you upgraded the server to SP5 it stopped auto-archiving? Or have you enabled since the upgrade (using EVPM) and found an issue?
There was a bug introduced in the EVPM in SP4 that prevented it from setting archive policy on sub-folders properly (which is what I guess you do). It'd be good if you could reply with this data as it'll really help further analysis.
Don't you think this forum is a load better than the old one? :-)
The "legacy" bit in the EV6 manual means *I think* that you no longer apply the functionality using the registry key. In EV6 you use the Policy Manager to apply the setting to do the same job. In other words, no real difference here.
EV6 seems to use EVPM exactly the same as EV5. There is more API exposure and some VBS stuff that I've not looked at yet. I'm guessing this will replace EVPM over time but at the moment the VBS and EVPM do the same things that were done in EV 5.
To confirm, none of our mailboxes are archiving from the Deleted Items. It all worked perfectly before SP5 without the registry key. I've only added that in recently to try and get it working again.
If it's right that the Properties doesn't show on Deleted Items then I might be chasing my tail a bit this week as I only moved my mailbox to Exchange 2003 yesterday and our archiving run is at the weekend.
I've not used the dtrace before so I'll look into that and see if I can see anything..
To answer your questions Dave...
Nope, nothing other than routine stuff has changed. Other than that we added in the Exchange 2003 server. This has it's own archiving service etc.
We'll wait and see on the moving of the mailbox, as above.
Yep, SP1 and patched up on the Exchange 2003 server.
Done a filter on the event viewer and those errors aren't there..
The registry has only been set in the last couple of days when I've been trying to get it working.
All the mailboxes are affected. At the moment we're not using this in anger and only have about 50 trial users. All are activated manually via the console at the moment and EVPM runs daily with the following script to set the policies on the various folders. The script, which is as simple as it gets is as follows:
I think the SP4 bug was resolved in SP5 wasn't it? we went straight to Sp5 as it had been left a little until I took up the project. Other than this, which isn't too big, the system seems pretty solid.
I'll crack on with this a bit more tomorrow... got an in-house training session today.......
Forum.. better yes.. not so sure on the spell checking! Ra!!!
why are you EVPMing every day?!? you could try it with the EVPM.exe from SP3 (or even safer CP2), although if you've not done a test run yet I'd wait for that.
Are you sure you've typed in the registry key correctly? I've full confidence in you mate but you might wanna check it again?
You don't have to wait for the weekend - run a manual archive in Report mode. This will tell you what would be archived if you were to do a run. Very useful. If you have to wait a week before seeing if stuff has been fixed this one could go on for a long time :-(
I think the fix was the registry key that I had added on Monday. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the properties page does not show for deleted items, therefore I was still looking for a solution.
I have now tested on both Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 with a brand new user and a temporary EVPM script. Then running the archive in report mode against the user I was able to see when the messages moved into Deleted Items they became ready for archive.