cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting 32bit indexes after upgrade to 64

EVSpinner
Level 5

Afternoon everyone, I have been moving from EV 9 to 10 and finished upgrading my indexes from 32 to 64bit. The 32's are now closed and I'd like to reclaim some space. From the Index console I intend to:

Open EV Index Server Properties

Remove the closed indexes

Delete the 32's (physical locations)

Are there any hidden sinkholes I might have missed, or is my logic sound?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you will need to convert the indexes to 64 bit first

So you will have two folders, for each user
one 32bit index, with all their items indexed until you upgraded
one 64bit index, all new items archived will be added to this index

When you search, or run a vault cache sync etc, it will query both the 32bit index and 64bit index
if you simply delete the 32bit indexes, then you'll get a flood of errors, searches will fail, vault cache builds will fail.

The indexes will have to be converted, it will keep the indexes online, and then once all the items have been added to the 64bit index, the 32bit index volume will be deleted

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello EVSpinner,

If the closed index1 is empty, you can remove it, but you will have to do that from the SERVICE in EV console. (expand to the EV server, services, doubleclick Indexing Service, tab indexlocations)

Do NOT delete the folder from Windows Explorer

EV will only delete the actual 32-bit Indexfolder belonging to an archive after a succesfull upgrade. The folders you are seeing are the 'root' folder for indexfolders. These will not be removed automatically.

I upgraded (as stated before) indexes, but in the same location. I therefor had some double space requirements during the upgrade, but after it finishes, I had only 1 64-bit indexfolder.

Does that clarify?

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you will need to convert the indexes to 64 bit first

So you will have two folders, for each user
one 32bit index, with all their items indexed until you upgraded
one 64bit index, all new items archived will be added to this index

When you search, or run a vault cache sync etc, it will query both the 32bit index and 64bit index
if you simply delete the 32bit indexes, then you'll get a flood of errors, searches will fail, vault cache builds will fail.

The indexes will have to be converted, it will keep the indexes online, and then once all the items have been added to the 64bit index, the 32bit index volume will be deleted

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

EVSpinner
Level 5

Yeah, sorry JW I didn't make that clear enough. I've already converted all my 32 indexes to 64 and they are all online and green. I'm just look to dump the 32's and reclaim some space

TonySterling

So the process didn't delete them for you?  

GertjanA

When I upgraded to EV10, I upgraded 23000 (twentythreethousand) indexes to 64-bit. Each and everyone had the 32-bit index REMOVED after the succesfull upgrade.

If the 32-bit indexlocation has not been removed, there must be an issue, and you better first examine that.

Are you absolutely sure that the 32 index location truly has only 32 bit indexes? Do you have any errors in eventlog in regards to index upgrades? If in EV Console, you select Indexing, do you still have the button upgrade? If you use that again, and search for 32 bit indexes, do you find any?

I would not delete them. You *might* want to set EV into backup mode, stop services, RENAME the topindexfolder location, start Admin/Directory and Indexing service, see what eventlog says. (I personally would not do this, but you might be more brave :) )

Regards. Gertjan

EVSpinner
Level 5

Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting to see where my understanding is lacking. The screen shot demonstartes what I'm seeing. The closed locations are the 32bit indexes and when I browse to the physical location the folder is empty. If I understand you guys correctly, Ev should have removed these as part of the upgrade?

180px_indexes.png

GertjanA

Hello EVSpinner,

If the closed index1 is empty, you can remove it, but you will have to do that from the SERVICE in EV console. (expand to the EV server, services, doubleclick Indexing Service, tab indexlocations)

Do NOT delete the folder from Windows Explorer

EV will only delete the actual 32-bit Indexfolder belonging to an archive after a succesfull upgrade. The folders you are seeing are the 'root' folder for indexfolders. These will not be removed automatically.

I upgraded (as stated before) indexes, but in the same location. I therefor had some double space requirements during the upgrade, but after it finishes, I had only 1 64-bit indexfolder.

Does that clarify?

Regards. Gertjan

EVSpinner
Level 5

Well clarified Gertjan, thank you. Thanks to all. Best regards