cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a folder in outlook seem to be deleted the items from the vault though shouldn't have

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

In a 10.4 EV environment where settings are:

- Moved Items: "Update Archive Location for items moved in the mailbox" is ticked
- Shortcut delete - delete only shortcut
- Deleted items is not archived
- Delete from vault has not been denied

Scenario:

User deleted from his outlook view a folder he once had made and was full of shortcuts right clicking the folder and choosing delete folder. - The result is that now that folder is visible inside the archive but it's empty! This should not happen or is there some "feature" that makes it work like this when the moved items is set to update the location...? Can anyone verify this? Preferably with a technical article to go with it to better explain it to the client whose messages are now no where to be found...

Thanks
Sani B.

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Sani,

I am not aware of documentation describing this, but perhaps you can recover the items from the Archive properties? There should be a tab 'deleted items'. when you click that, it should show items which have been deleted in the last 30 days I believe. You can then restore those.

As it was a view, does that not imply the shortcuts are actually somewhere else in the mailbox? Does the user know of an item which should be there, and can he search for it? You never know...

Regards. Gertjan

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The deletion was done long time ago - but the user did not notice the issue back then but only now. And in archive there is no folder "deleted items" where logicly the items might have gone due to the "keep up with the move location" setting... And if the deletion of the folder instantly deleted the items from the vault due to the lack of deleted folder in the vault then the recovery of the shortcuts/ folders from the restore deleted items would only have restored the shortcuts that then would not point to anything because we have double centera in use so once the item is deleted from the vault it is gone and not able to restore.

GertjanA

Hi Sani,

I am not referring to a folder in the archive, but to the properties of the archive. You have a few tabs when you rightclick the archivename, and select properties. One of them is called Deleted Items. If the user deleted items recently (...) there should be a number behind 'Number of items marked for deletion'. You can then click the button Recover Items, which will allow the items to be recovered.

In your case, that probably shows 0 for this user.

It is worth a test. If it is an issue, you won't get a fix, due to EV10 being out of support already, but it might be fixed in EV11, or 12.

Regards. Gertjan

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ah yes now I understood what you meant and yes if the deletion would have happened days ago it would be an option but unfortunately this has been done long ago.

This environment was actually recently upgraded to 12.1 (said 10.4 becaus at the time of deletion it was 10.4). In 12.1 I can't see the setting for moved items anymore in the mailbox policy settings and there fore cannot properly test this issue in my environment :( So just wanted to know if someone has noticed the same issue with deleting an entire folder from outlook would cause with the given settings the items to be deleted from the vault though the delete only shortcut is on...

GertjanA

I really hate it when replying goes wrong..

See the readmefirst file on the source, section Improved consistency when applying a retention period to moved items

This describes where to locate it now.

Regards. Gertjan

The expected behavior for the type of deletion you describe with the settings you describe would be for the archived items to remain in the same folder in the archive.

For example, if a user has a folder "Inbox\Sani" that contains shortcuts, and the desktop policy setting for shortcut deletion is "Shortcut Only," then deleting that folder and its contents should:

• Remove both the folder and the shortcuts from the Exchange mailbox
  • Leave both the folder and archived items intact in the archive

The Moved Items feature has been changed in EV 12.1 as part of a broader push for consistency in how we handle updating archived items' location and retention, which is why you cannot find the same tab in the policy anymore. However, because Moved Items updates are triggered by the Archiving Task's shortcut processing routine, and because you do not have shortcuts in the mailbox, we can safely conclude that Moved Items is not removing the items from the archive.

Frankly, the behavior you describe is exactly what we would expect if you had the shortcut deletion set to "Both deleted" in the desktop policy. Can you double-check that this is the setting being applied to this user? You can see the applied value of the setting in a client trace by searching for "DELETEORIGINALITEM =".

0 = Shortcut only
1 = Both deleted
2 = Ask user

If you have the ability to reproduce this with a test user, we could also gain some insight from examining the client trace during the delete operation.

I hope this helps shed some light on the issue.

-Chris

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hey Chris,

Thank you for writing that open in very clear manner. Yes I agree that what has happened either would be because the setting is "both deleted" OR the user has infact selected the folder and then used the "Delete from vault" tool from the vault tools options and just cannot remember/admit using it that way... Like I said he thinks he deleted the folders from his mailbox over a year ago because I told him that nothing would be deleted from the archive if shortcut was deleted... I'm 100% positive that the settings have been as they are now - "only shortcut" when deleting shortcuts... I will try to test this one way or another and see if I can repeat the actions...