cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an archive while in backup mode.

Mallard78
Level 3

Hello

I was just wondering, if you put the Vault Stores and Index locations in Backup mode, is there any way of deleting an archive without having to change the state?
I need to do some vault tidying and want it to stop writing any data (archives or log files) while I delete old vaults.

Is this possible?

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, this will stop new scheduled archiving runs, and thus stop more indexing.

The only thing that will get indexed is if your users manually archive items, but this is not a problem most of the time.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Maverik
Level 6
The backup mode was not really designed for use with deletion as it would stop the deletion process as well.

The best method I can think of to use is to simply disable the user concerned for archiving, then delete the archive. The user could not then add to the archive at all.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Why? What is the point? Maybe explain why you would like to do this.

Mallard78
Level 3
Basically, due to disk space issues, the log drive has less than 10% space remaining and therefore all the vault services are stopping and people cannot access their archived mails.

By putting the store into backup mode stops the log files from filling but also allows users to continue to access their mails.
This is until we have installed extra storage but wont be for a couple of weeks.

I was hoping in the mean time to reduce the size of the vault by exporting to pst and deleting users who have now left the business. The psts can be archived to DVD and from a licence / storage perspective the vault is more manageble.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Just stop your archiving tasks, and you will be fine.

EV does not have any logs...
Which logs do you mean??

Cheers

Mallard78
Level 3
Sorry I was referring to the Indexes.
Indexing is set at Medium but they have filled the drive they reside on.

I was told you need all the indexes for EV to work so cannot delete.

By stopping archiving tasks, will this stop and indexes being written to?

MichelZ
Level 6
Yes, this will stop new scheduled archiving runs, and thus stop more indexing.

The only thing that will get indexed is if your users manually archive items, but this is not a problem most of the time.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
The right way to do this would be as follows:

Disable Archiving.

Modifying the Admin Service to stop failing:

1. In the Windows Control Panel, double-click Services.

2. Go to the properties of the Enterprise Vault Admin Service.

3. Click Stop. A warning is displayed stating that all the Enterprise Vault services will be stopped.

4. In the Startup Parameters box, enter the desired parameters per the examples given below.

5. Click Start and then click OK.

*Note: It is imperative to start the Enterprise Vault Admin Service from the properties page after entering the startup parameters. Closing the Enterprise Vault Admin service properties before starting the service will cause the startup parameters to be lost.

Examples:

1. To monitor only disks C:, E:, and F:
/DISKS=CEF

2. To ensure that the monitoring parameters are used each time the Enterprise Vault Admin service is started utilize the SAVE parameter:
/DISKS=CEF /SAVE

3. To monitor all disks (default behavior):
/DISKS

4. To disable monitoring of memory and all local disk space resources:
/NOMONITOR

5. To ensure that monitoring of memory and all local disk space resources is disabled each time the Enterprise Vault Admin is started utilize the SAVE Parameter:
/NOMONITOR /SAVE

6. To enable monitoring of memory and all local disk space resources:
/MONITOR

7. To ensure that monitoring of memory and all local disk space resources is enabled each time the Enterprise Vault Admin is started utilize the SAVE Parameter:
/MONITOR /SAVE

To ensure the changes to the "startup parameters" are successfully saved, be certain that a DWORD called DiskMap has been created underneath HKLM\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService\Disk

Please note that this value can take on different values depending upon the value specified under the "startup parameters".

Start Everything up and start your deletions.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Forgot this:

Disabling the monitoring of disk space on all local disks:

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
  1. Open the registry using Start>Run>Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Admin Service
  3. Right click>New>DWORD Value
  4. Enter NoMonitor for the DWORD name
  5. Double click on the NoMonitor DWORD and enter 1 as the value data
  6. Restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service to apply the changes
The possible values for this registry key are as follows:

0 - Monitor resources
1 - Do not monitor resources

MichelZ
Level 6
Wayne

This is a temporary workaround, yes.
However, depending on what this 10% diskspace actually is (100 MB? 1 GB? 10 GB?) he may be better of to stop scheduled archiving until he has new diskspace to use...

Cheers

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
"Disable Archiving."

That would mean go into the task properties, and disabling it.... It is better to have the tasks running not to fill up MSMQ than to stop the services.. So I think you might have missed that part :p

--wayne

MichelZ
Level 6
Aaah, right!
Missed that one ;)

Mallard78
Level 3
I have the Vault no longer running in Backup Mode but have paused the Mailbox Archiving Task.

This is allowing me to delete archives and stop the Indexes from growing.

Can you confirm what you mean about the MSMQ, is there something I need to check to see if something isn't filling up elsewhere.

Mallard78
Level 3
Also, at the moment I have a 136GB drive that got down to 1.33 GB free before all the services started playing up.
Does deleting an archive also decrease the indexes?

Am hoping to install some more drive space soon.