cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files where placeholder has been deleted

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Single EV server running EV 12.3 and just doing file system archiving from a single Windows NTFS file server with the FSA agent installed

Currently have the setting not to delete the archived file when a user deletes a placeholder - and this has been the setting (as far as I know), ever since EV has been installed.

I now want to change this setting to delete the files once the placeholder has been deleted - mainly for space and GDPR reasons. I have two questions:

Can this be done retrospectively by just changing the option to delete the file when the placeholder is deleted tickbox?

If it will do it retrospectively by simply selecting the tick box, can it be throttled somehow as I don't want to risk swamping the EV server with a massive deletion activity?

kind regards

Caden

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi CadenL,

The setting will only work for items moving forward and does not reconcile what was already deleted.  

You could run FSAUtility -c to recreate the placeholder files and log it to a file.  The file will be in the Reports\FSAUtility folder in root of EV install path. 

FSAUtility -c -s \\server\share\folder -l 0 

This will log all the successful recreations and the ones that failed due to file exists.  You could then script the deletion of the items that were recreated since those would have been items previously deleted from file server.  That should then remove the item from the archive as well.  The script could be run in batches to avoid overloading SQL.

Thanks,

Patrick 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi CadenL,

The setting will only work for items moving forward and does not reconcile what was already deleted.  

You could run FSAUtility -c to recreate the placeholder files and log it to a file.  The file will be in the Reports\FSAUtility folder in root of EV install path. 

FSAUtility -c -s \\server\share\folder -l 0 

This will log all the successful recreations and the ones that failed due to file exists.  You could then script the deletion of the items that were recreated since those would have been items previously deleted from file server.  That should then remove the item from the archive as well.  The script could be run in batches to avoid overloading SQL.

Thanks,

Patrick 

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Patrick

Thanks for much - I'll follow that process. It sounds like a good approach to me.

kind regards