Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting items while in backup mode error

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when deleting items while EV is in backup mode. The problem occurs both from Archive Explorer and search results. The error is as follows

From Archive Explorer

BackupMode.PNG

From Search results

BackupModeSearch.PNG

The problem I see is that this is not a user friendly error. it would be fantastic the message would say "item cannot be deledet at this moment" or something like that. An IIS internal error is not acceptable, and certainly is not for the customer.

This was initially raised by a customer running EV 10.0.2. I have since recreated the problem on my lab running EV 10.0.3

The environment:

EV Server:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard
  • SQL 2008 R2 Standard

Client:

• Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise
  • Outlook 2007 & 2010

Steps to reproduce the problem:

• Set the EV VaultStore in backup mode
  • From the client, on Archive explorer, select delete. Error 1 above is received
  • From the client, on search result, select delete. Error 2 above is received

I've setup bad request tracing on the ev servers and this is what I get

Site 1
Process 4172
Failure Reason STATUS_CODE
Trigger Status 500
Final Status 500
Time Taken 109 msec
Url http://archive.amtest.local:80/EnterpriseVault/deleteo2k.asp?VaultID=103C63E0B8B9E2D4788386B9AC0A97F091110000archive&SaveSetID=201305108159947~200907191035570000~Z~2149BD46D4119C96CC3CCB0CE1EAB1E1
App Pool EnterpriseVaultAppPool
Authentication NTLM
User from token AMTEST\ev.user
Activity ID {00000000-0000-0000-2500-0080000000EA}

ModuleName IsapiModule
Notification 128
HttpStatus 500
HttpReason DELO2K
HttpSubStatus 0
ErrorCode 0
ConfigExceptionInfo  
Notification EXECUTE_REQUEST_HANDLER
ErrorCode The operation completed successfully. (0x0)

According to KB 942031 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942031)

Error message 7
Server Error in Application "application name"

HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error

HRESULT: 0x8007007f

Description of HRESULT There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, so it cannot be displayed.

This problem occurs because the handler mapping for the requested resource points to a .dll file that cannot process the request. The proposed solution is to Edit the handler mapping for the requested resource to point to the .dll file that can process the request

I've attached the IIS bad request trace and stile sheet for your use

My questions are:

• Is this the expected behaviour or something is missing?
  • and if is the expected behaviour, is there a way to change this?
4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

andres, i read your entire post but something is not clear to me. when EV is in backup mode it is expected that there are no changes to the data (deletions or additions of any kind) allowed to take place. what are you expecting to happen?

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'm not expecting being able to delete. it would defy the purpose of backup mode.

The problem I see is that this is not a user friendly error. it would be fantastic the message would say "item cannot be deledet at this moment" or something like that. An IIS internal error is not acceptable, and certainly is not for the customer.

I have now edited the post to make this clear.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

unfortunately this is expected and what you're seeing is the way it is. it cannot be changed by the admin.

i agree that it would be nice if a message came back to the user trying to perform the delet stating that the system doesnt allow changes at this time or something like that.

my suggestion to you would be to write up a post in the ideas section of the forum. i would support you with my vote.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes I agree with Andy....only thing which we can do is post it under ideas section and get votes