cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting messages from Virtual Vault

charles-k
Level 5
Hi,

I'm running EV 8.0 SP3 for Exchange archiving.  I've deployed the Virtual Vault, and I'm allowing the users to delete messages from their archives.  However, I've noticed that if a user deletes a message from his/her Virtual Vault and does a VV - EV synchronization, the corresponding shortcut does not get deleted from the user's mailbox.  Is this by design, where the mailbox is always the "master," and I should just inform my users to not user their VV for managing their mail?  Or is there a way to configure EV so that a VV deletion plus sync results in shortcut removal from the mailbox?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Charles
5 REPLIES 5

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Charles,

To delete the shortcut you will need to enable the "delete orphaned shortcut" option on your mailbox policy and then run the shortcut processing tab (automatically runs as part of the schedule mailbox archiving).

Something to consider:  With VV you no longer really need shortcuts.  In fact the shortcuts may confuse the user.  (eg:  why is the message in 2 places?). 

Regards
Joe

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'd be curious to know how many orgs have turned off shortcuts since enabling VV. We've been using archiving with shortcuts since the days of KVS so it would be a challenging transition in my opinion. Give them something new (VV instead of AE) but take something old and familiar away (shortcuts). I guess it all depends how you educate the user.

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Andrew,

Good point.  VV represents a change in user experience but I think it is a great change.  For the new customers I am working for I push VV all the way (why bother learning shortcuts?) VV is much more intuitive to non-EV users familiar with PST use.

In you case the uses have adjusted to the EV shortcut process and I'm sure Symantec will support this methodology for the foreseeable future but I definitely see VV as being the future direction.

-Joe

charles-k
Level 5
Joe/Andrew,

Thanks for your response; I appreciate it.  However, I already have the 'Delete orphaned shortcuts' enabled in my mailbox policy (I just double checked to make sure).  That's why I was surprised to see the shortcut sticking around in the mailbox after deleteing the message from VV and resynchronizing.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

Charles

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If I recall correctly, Charles, Shortcut Deletion process runs once per week.