cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell EMC ECS with EV and SIS storage with Streamer API devices

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi all,

With ECS as you may know the older model of 'device-level sharing' that used to be available on Centera is no longer exist. The device itself performs sort of compression before saving objects but it's not exactly a replacement.

However, the EV documentation albeit not very specific, as usual, points out that Streamer API devices can participate in SIS sharing so I am wondering if EV actually does SIS before wrapping things into objects and storing them on ECS or other Streamer API devices?

TL;DR: is EV single instancing is available on Vault Store Partitions connected through Streamer API?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mouse,

Yes, with these types of Streamer devices EV will SIS the items and utilize the Fingerprint Database to perform SIS on all items as long as sharing is enabled. The objects (DVS, DVSSP, DVSCC...) are then passed along to storage.  

With Centera EV did not use the FP DB to perform SIS.  

Regards,

Patrick 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mouse,

Yes, with these types of Streamer devices EV will SIS the items and utilize the Fingerprint Database to perform SIS on all items as long as sharing is enabled. The objects (DVS, DVSSP, DVSCC...) are then passed along to storage.  

With Centera EV did not use the FP DB to perform SIS.  

Regards,

Patrick 

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey Patrick, many thanks for the clarification, this is quite a bit of relief. I think it's worth emphasising somewhere in EV documentation.

PetrHanz
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi guys,

EV can uses SIS during save items to ECS. Many thanks

DELL notices inside its documentation that ECS doesn't SIS , see bellow 

Single instancing
Unlike the Centera system, ECS does not single-instance duplicate objects that are stored on it. ECS uses
inline compression to reduce the storage consumed when storing objects

https://www.delltechnologies.com/asset/en-us/products/storage/industry-market/h15310-centera-ecs-tec...

So, ECS uses compression technology. Do you have a experience with capacity planning of ECS ?

We have enable SIS on current  NTFS partitions and we have original capacity 85TB ( EV report, see bellow) and our NTFS partitions have perhaps 30TB occupied.       

Total size of archived items MB : 73321170

Total original size of items MB:   84890124

Can I assume that ECS store with API Streamer will take approximately the same capacity ? There are capacity calculator for ECS with EV  ? ( I have EV calculator ).

And second question. Do you have experience with any tools for move archive from NTFS to ECS ? We don't use Exchange mailbox or journal archives, but SMTP office365 archive, Sharepoint and File System archives.  

Many thanks