cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting an abandoned EV Archive from an external script

172pilot-68
Level 2

Hi,

I believe I was probably the "customer" referenced when the Symantec employee created this post:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-find-orphaned-archives-no-mailboxes-being-archive...

I see someone was kind enough to suggest a script at the bottom.   I ran it, and I do get a small list of archives which have been disconnected from their mailbox / user.  For example, we ran the report, got 25 rows back, then "Zap"'d an archive, and that archive now shows up on the report as row 26.

My problem is that I *KNOW* we have over 8000 archives which belong to people whose AD Accounts and exchange mailboxes have been deleted, but those are not showing up in the report provided by this query.     I've gotten recommendations to run reports in the GUI, etc, but my problem is that just being "deleted" isn't good enough - We give our users 14 days to have an account recreated and reconnect their old mailbox, so I have a whole back-end process created to try to detect when it's deleted, keep a 14 day counter, and then trigger the actual deletion of the archive.  All of that works fine, based on looking up the Billing Account SID to see if it's a valid AD account.  The problem I have is that when an archive is reattached during that 14 day period, the billing account isn't updated by EV, so I still see the account as "deleted" by my logic, and if I let it proceed, it would delete archives that I need to keep, because they're active again.

Is there a way to detect the CURRENT owner of an EV archive?  I dont mind the scripting aspect of looking up in AD whether that "current" owner has been deleted or not, but I need something that gets updated by EV automatically, unlike the billing account.  Alternatively, if the Billing account is SUPPOSED to be updating itself, then perhaps I have a configuration problem, because mine is not!! 

Thanks in advance!!

-Steve

2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

(also editted link which wasn't directing correclty).

Hopefully you'll get a resolution here.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

cheers Andy!

Well the issue for you is most likely that the old mailboxes are sticking around the ExchangeMailboxEntry table and not being purged correctly. What i would suggest is running a quick delete statement against ExchangeMailboxEntry then re-running provisioning, then afterwards run the SQL query again

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146