Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ZAP and Disable Mailbox

Thiyagu
Level 3

Hi,

I think this will be an easy one.
1. What is the difference between ZAP a maibox (using EVPM) and disabling a mailbox (using GUI)
2. In what scenarios, you use these options?
thanks
Thiyagu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
ZAP = deletion of hidden messages, folder archiving rules and stuff.

Basically, when you are disbling a user for archiving, it just sets your archiving status = disabled, but leaving all your custom policies in the mailbox itself intact (i.e. custom settings for a folder in Outlook), as well as the "hidden message" with some more general settings in it.

With Zapping, you delete everything out of the mailbox as regards to Enterprise Vault, all settings, all custom settings, all permissions and stuff.

Zapping is most likely used when e.g. an employee leaves the company and you want to archive all his data regardsless of his own custom policies set, or when you are having trouble archiving a mailbox where you suspect that the hidden message might be corrupt, something like this.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
ZAP = deletion of hidden messages, folder archiving rules and stuff.

Basically, when you are disbling a user for archiving, it just sets your archiving status = disabled, but leaving all your custom policies in the mailbox itself intact (i.e. custom settings for a folder in Outlook), as well as the "hidden message" with some more general settings in it.

With Zapping, you delete everything out of the mailbox as regards to Enterprise Vault, all settings, all custom settings, all permissions and stuff.

Zapping is most likely used when e.g. an employee leaves the company and you want to archive all his data regardsless of his own custom policies set, or when you are having trouble archiving a mailbox where you suspect that the hidden message might be corrupt, something like this.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Thiyagu
Level 3
Perfect, well explained, it is very clear.
thanks for quick response, i appreciate it.

cheers
Thiyagu

JesusWept3
Level 6
just a note on that, be aware that there are two kinds of zap, permissions and settings, if you do a regular zap (the one that removes the hidden messages, filter messages from EVPM etc), the permissions are unaffected, but if you do a permissions zap, the only thing it does is it removes permissions and has you can have it only delete inherited permissions or manuallly set permissions or both.

And when you disable a mailbox, the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add In will still remain active and it will change the hidden message so that any buttons that were set are turned off except for the search vaults button
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Divya_Prakash_J
Level 3
What does PhMigration & MoveArchive feature mean, which are incorporated in EV 9.0 I guess.
Can somebody explain with an example?

JesusWept3
Level 6

create a new post for this question

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146