Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Indexing for FSA performance

Icento
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

For a large FSA archiving project, I need to know if it is possible to postpone the index process.

Does anyone knows how to postpone of temporary disable the index process?

Its Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 /w hotfix 2 archiving 60TB on several clustered fileservers.

Thanks in advance,

André

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Don't do it, FSAUtility requires indexes to run properly and you don't wanna be in a situation where you need FSAUtility and you're stuck having to index items
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bdk1
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Andre, I might look at the problem from different angle, in that if have the resources available you could scale up indexing using one or more dedicated indexing server in an indexing group. Although you will need to bear in mind that once they have been added to an indexing group they can't be removed. Bradley

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'd go back to the original question here.

Where are you seeing the performance hit?  And what effect is it having?

For example, you're archiving these files outside of the normal work day, right?  And it's taking some time...  sure...  and the EV server is running at, say 90%+ CPU...  but does that matter? And why does it matter? What impact is it having?

Working for cloudficient.com

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Index is a deferred process anyway. When archiving is happening at full bore, it is normal for indexing to lag behind slightly.

If you want to add items at a different time, set indexing into read-only with powershell, and make it read-write when you want to add items.

But for the fact Rob has already asked the questions above, I would be asking them too....

Regards,

Jeff

Icento
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Dear all, Thanks for your replies. According the performance guide for FSA, there is a performance gain when deferring the index at the start of the archiving. Because of the limited time we have for the archiving, the customer decided to index the data after the archiving. All archiving points have the index on defer and indexing will be enabled later and with the setting brief. Thanks for all the reactions. regards, André

JesusWept3
Level 6
Don't do it, FSAUtility requires indexes to run properly and you don't wanna be in a situation where you need FSAUtility and you're stuck having to index items
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146