cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable retrieval of archived items.

Staun_RTX
Level 4
Is there any way to disable the possibility to retrieve archived items from the archive explorer or other applications that accesses the vault archive?

I have disabled the icon in outlook, but the users are still able to right-click and retrieve in the Expiry report/ archive explorer and the web-archive browser.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You don't state what version of EV you have but what you're trying to do can be acheived through the webapp.ini. See ArchiveExplorerRestore and ISRestoreButton in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292820.htm

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Could you elaborate further?

I belive you could set a deny on the archive for Domain Users..?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You don't state what version of EV you have but what you're trying to do can be acheived through the webapp.ini. See ArchiveExplorerRestore and ISRestoreButton in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292820.htm

Staun_RTX
Level 4
Once again - a perfect forum with people helping me :) THANKS

Worked like a charm with the WebApp.ini file.

BTW I'm running with EV 8. SP1

Staun_RTX
Level 4
Argghh.. It seems I was too fast and too happy.

The Restore button is still available on the Expiry Report

I'm using these settings in the WebApp.ini file.

ArchiveExplorerDelete=0
ArchiveExplorerRestore=0
ISDeleteButton=0
ISRestoreButton=0
ViewMessage_Restore=0
ViewMessage_Delete=0
ISShowExpiry=0

MichelZ
Level 6
There is no way that I know of to disable this other than disabling the EV dumpster functionality, I think.

May I ask why you forbid restores?

Cheers

Staun_RTX
Level 4
ok. I guess we have to live with this then.

The reason that I do not want to enable retrieve is that we have quite a lot of spoiled engineers which is against archiving - just because we are starting to control their mailboxes. We have heard in the corners that they will just retrieve their mails to protest. I know these mails will just be archived again, but the exchange database will grow everytime an archived mail is back in the store. (which is the reason we started archiving. We are running low on diskspace on our SAN and the exchange-databases are now 4x120 GB - and after the initial archive we will shrink the exchange-disks)

MichelZ
Level 6
OK, I see.
So, more of an Exchange problem than EV.
You could use Quotas for this. They will not be able to restore if they're over their Quota.
Would that may be an option?

Staun_RTX
Level 4
unfortunately not. Tried that a couple of years back. (like I said, SPOILED engineers). I'm just gonna have to live with it and hope they get tired of restoring mails to irritate the IT-department.