cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Indexing

ecrgvp
Level 4

Hello,

Is there an option to disable indexing?. Also, will there be any impact other than losing the search capability when idexing is disabled.

7 REPLIES 7

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Turn off indexing Service.

An impact straight away would be a build up inside of SQL as EV will wait for stuff to index. Why do you not want to index data you have stored?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

May I ask why you want to do this?

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

There is a way to disable indexing not by stopping the index service, this will not work.  However there has only been one customer (a large german company) who has done this and they have had a world of problems due to this.  

I will not disclose how to do this if you wish to know how contact support and they can inform you how to do this.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

If you are using File System Archiving then you can disable indexing through the Archivepoints.exe command by specifying <indexDisabled>True</indexDisabled> in the XML file. Please see the section called "ArchivePoints syntax" in the Utilities help file for more information

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would be very curious to know why you want to do this

ecrgvp
Level 4

Thanks for your response..

We are doing lot of flat file archival (70 TB) from our old windows server which we plan to decommission. Reports indicate that these files were never accessed in the last 5 years. So, we have decided to archive them, but don't want to enable indexing as that would consume more space on the index volumes and users don't need any search functionality.

I would like to know if disabling indexing will just impact search ability but not the functionality of other features like archive explorer etc. We plan to use archive explorer as the UI in case some one would like to access the files..

JesusWept3
Level 6
If you disable indexing then the items won't show up in AE as archive explored will get the items that belong to folders from the index as those details are stored no where else Your best solution is the following 1. Keep this fsa project on a seperate indexing server 2. Add the files you will be arching to the bypass conversion reg key on that server so that ev doesn't attempt to convert to txt or HTML 3. Set the indexing level to brief so it only indexes the filename, date created, modified etc However you won't have any preview in AE, you will just have the filenames etc, and that is because of the bypass conversion key, you won't be able to search on the contents either
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146