cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling vaulting question

ashks2014
Level 5

Before we delete a mailbox (and AD account) we usually disable the mailbox from vaulting.

Is this necessary? What happens if a a mailbox and AD account are deleted without disabling the vaulting first?

Hope someone can answer this!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the way you're doing it sounds fine. it isnt necessary but it doesnt do any harm. if you delete a mailbox and AD account and still have an archive around, it becomes orphaned. you can manually assign permissions to it but no new messages get archived to it unless it's reassociated with a new mailbox.

View solution in original post

Nate_D1
Level 6

One thing we like to do, something to think about -

We put a retiring account into a '0 day archive' policy to archive everything in their account to current and then disable them, that way we have a full snapshot of the users mail before disabling.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the way you're doing it sounds fine. it isnt necessary but it doesnt do any harm. if you delete a mailbox and AD account and still have an archive around, it becomes orphaned. you can manually assign permissions to it but no new messages get archived to it unless it's reassociated with a new mailbox.

Nate_D1
Level 6

One thing we like to do, something to think about -

We put a retiring account into a '0 day archive' policy to archive everything in their account to current and then disable them, that way we have a full snapshot of the users mail before disabling.

ashks2014
Level 5

That's what we do as well but we disable the account before doing it. Then once the mail is vaulted we disable vaulting and delete the mailbox.

I was just wondering if we needed to disable vaulting before deleting the mailbox?

Swipe
Level 3

I would otherwise it will leave errors in your provisioning task report i.e.

"Mailboxes on Exchange Server [EXCHMBX01] that have entries in the Enterprise Vault database but which are not in any provisioning group"

Ask me how I know :p