cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk space with Email archiving

Jane_Smith
Level 2
Hi all,

Just wondering if you have 100GB worth of email data, how much disk space would you require to archive it?
5 REPLIES 5

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Jane,
I wish there was an easy way to answer your question, but in reality, there isn't. The compression that you'll get with EV will be reliant upon the storage type in question (for example Data Domain would get you better than Centera or SAN), the way you set up your vaults and partitions, and the actual type of content in your emails. Large attachments don't compress well, especially if they're already compressed (video, pics, etc). In addition, the level of indexing you perform on the archive will also add to your storage needs.

Micah

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Jane,
I just realized that my answer doesn't leave you with much info. Maybe if you could give us a better idea of the content in the 100gb of email that you're looking to archive, we could guess at a percentage of compression for you.

micah

Jane_Smith
Level 2
Micah,

Mostly 90% of the data are emails only, with the rest being attachments.

cheers,
jane

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Hi Jane,

There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to come up with space requirements. You have 100GB of email data currently, you also have to consider PSTs if you are planning on importing PSTs. You also have to consider the amount of email traffic you receive and try to calculate email growth for the year.

Also if you listen to your EV salesperson, they'll probably say you'll get about a 40-50% compression rate when the item gets archived. That's not entirely true because you have to take into account the indexes you will be creating. Your index size will be between 5-15% of total amount of data archived.

Anyway, more space is always better and make sure you can add disk if your environment grows. I hope this helps.

Scott_Anderso1
Level 4
Whatever you estimate the disk requirements to be, double it if you can.