cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disparity in disk space occupied statistics...

EV_Novice
Level 5

EV 2007 7.5 SP3

This is probably 'an "ol' chestnut" but I have to enquire: Our environment doesn't permit me to setup EV Reporting, due to some potential performance problems we might encounter with our SQL servers.
I am therefore obliged to use some hand-cranked methods for checking disk space on the drive we use to hold the partition stores.
I've noticed that when I run the "Vault Store Usage Reporter", it reports that the 6.8Tb drive contains 6,494,006Mb of data: that equates to 6.2 Tb. 
When I use Windows Explorer on hte server and check the same drive, it suggests that the drive is 5,277,966,589,952 bytes (or 5,033,461.18Mb) or 4.8Tb.

I have a feeling you're going to tell me that both quantities reported are entirely correct and that EV reports a higher figure because....

However, I'd rather have some certainty here and avoid the situation where my drive becomes full;, because I believed the wrong figure,

Please would you offer some enlightenment ?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

the VS Usage page shows the "uncompressed" size whereas Windows Explorer shows the actual size on disk, hence the disparity

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

the VS Usage page shows the "uncompressed" size whereas Windows Explorer shows the actual size on disk, hence the disparity

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
You can do automatic partition rollover based on % of free space. This could keep you from having to monitor partition space at all.

just a thought

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the exact definition would be "original" size but nick is correct

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vaults\Agents\IgnoreEVDates - which is a DWORD entry which needs to be created.

0 = Off

1 = Ignore Archived date

2 = Ignore Restored date

3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

Once entered give the task a restart and it should archive the email based on your archive policy if you select 2 or 3 as a value for IgnoreEVDates.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

EV_Novice
Level 5

Dear All,

your attention and advice much appreciated. Thankyou for putting me right !