cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to install Exchange?

LizA
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm installing an EV 9.0 test environment. Would I need to install full blown Exchange if all I’m trying to do for now is import PSTs directly into an archive and use DA to review them.  Would I need to install the journaling service for DA to work properly?  I would still need to install Outlook on the server to use MAPI I figure.    Can I install the DA client on the DA server, so I can use 1 VM for everything.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ LizA,

As mentioned previously, you do not need a journaling task.  I do believe that you might not have to install Exchange if you create Shared Archives to put the PST's into.  You will for sure need Outlook.  Since this is only a test environment you can put everything on one server.

@Mojorsn,

You can simply stop and disable the Task Controller service on your EV Server and let it run.    One thing to clear up, is DA in this environment as well or is it in the other environment?  I only ask because if it is in the other environment you need to make sure the version and sp levels all match up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

I advise you to install Exchange 2010, because I think you cannot install EV without having at least 1 Exchange server available.

DA is seperate, and looking at archives. No journaling needed.

Outlook (2007!) needs to be installed on the EV-server yes.

For test-purposes, you can install the DA-client on the DA-server.

If you also run EV on that server, you might want to give it some additional RAM. If you also run SQL on that server, than you might see some problems. For test-purposes it can be done, but it might throw errors that cannot be resolved.

Regards. Gertjan

Mojorsn
Level 5

This is an interesting question because we are kind of reversing the above process.  We have a fully functional EV environment that has been doing Journaling/Archivng for the last 7 years from Exchange 2003.

We are exporting/importing all the data from that environment to a different environment (merging two companies).  However due to the fact that the data was stored on a Centera in Compliance mode we have no way of getting rid of the data until it expires. 

So we will be leaving the lone Journaling/archiving server in the environment up for a few years to perform expiry only.  Once all the data is expired off we will decomission that server.  But in the meantime we will be decomissioning the Exchange environment, so pretty much from day one the server will be sitting there performing expiry and possibly a couple DA searches, and nothing else.  And there won't be any Exchange environment.

So to answer this question I would assume you could install it without an exchange environment because EV isn't just for Exchange (i.e FSA, Lotus, etc...).  Also when you install it there is not any place where you have to enter any Exchange information or mailbox data for an account.

However I'm not sure about his and hopefully someone else can weigh in on this because whether or not Exchange is in the environment is also important to our project.

Thanks.

TonySterling

@ LizA,

As mentioned previously, you do not need a journaling task.  I do believe that you might not have to install Exchange if you create Shared Archives to put the PST's into.  You will for sure need Outlook.  Since this is only a test environment you can put everything on one server.

@Mojorsn,

You can simply stop and disable the Task Controller service on your EV Server and let it run.    One thing to clear up, is DA in this environment as well or is it in the other environment?  I only ask because if it is in the other environment you need to make sure the version and sp levels all match up.