cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do NOT want to backup SQL during EV backup

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hello. We have 7 EV servers in various geographic locations, but the EV's SQL server and all the databases are in one central location.

We have had it like this for years, it works, and this is how we like it.

Now the issue...   BackupExec 12 with the EV license.    When we make EV backup selections, we do NOT select any SQL components because:

- our SQL DBAs have their own methods for SQL backup

- we don't want an EV backup job in New York to even try backing up the SQL databases that are in the central location in Europe.

However BackupExec still tries to reach out to the SQL server and back it up. And it fails.  And it marks the whole job as Failed.

So basically all our successful EV backup jobs are marked as Failed. Which makes our backup administrators very nervous, which leads to all kinds of other unintended consequences.

Is there a way to prevent BackupExec from trying to reach out to the SQL server during an EV backup job?

8 REPLIES 8

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Andrey,

I was reading a TN for BE 12 agent for EV and according with the TN, the SQL DBs for EV need to be added manually to the backup job:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69116

Enterprise Vault 8.0 has added several additional databases as part of its default installation.  These databases are the Audit, FSA Reporting, and Fingerprint databases.  These additional databases are not automatically protected by the Agent for Enterprise Vault and must be protected manually.

In step #2, there is a screenshot where you need to select the DBs manually. I'd check the EV backup job to confirm if the DBs can be un-selected. Perhaps, one of the BE technicians can help you on this issue through a support case.

I hope this helps.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In my testing with backup exec, by default when we select EV then automatically select EV options such as VS partiton, indexes, database...etc and we need manually unselect it.

As per current EV compatibility, EV 10.0 SP3 is pending for BE 2012. Page no 24. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

Please also have a look at below forum of BE.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2012-does-not-support-enterprise-vault-1003-agent-backup

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks!

We actually do Not select anything that looks like a database. We only select the vault store partitions and indexes.  But the backup job still tries to do something with the SQL server and fails.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

It would be worth to open support case with BE. If require they can take assistance from EV-support as well.

From EV perspective just make sure we are able to put EV into backup mode and clearing out from backup mode successfully without any failure. And EV remain in backup mode when backup job is running.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

in your case it sounds like what you need to do is configure your own backup policy and not use the EV agent's directives.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the SQL DBs are not selected, then you need to open a support ticket with the BE team. From the EV side, EV creates a XML file (EVBackup.xml) with all the information that BE requires to create a new backup. After that, BE should process the backup job according with the policy.

I hope this helps.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I  think if you try to uninstall the Backup Agent from EV Server and then make selection in Backup and then do the backup and check whether it looking for SQL or not.

A_J1
Level 6

Hi,

Instead of backing up through EV Site, you can backup that server as normal widnows server.. in which you can select the Index drive location and vaultstore partition location in you seletion list..