cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Discovery Accelerator search non-archived information

dtammi
Level 1
Hi,

We have been using the Sherpa Discovery Attender package for legal discoveries, but with the implementation of Enterprise Vault, we have purchased Discovery Accelerator to ensure the archived email is searched.

I have been playing with DA to become familiar with its use before I "have to" use it.

I cannot find a way to initiate a search of information on specified file servers or folders. I see references in the documentation to information in the Email and FSA archives, but nothing for non-archived information.

Is Discovery Accelerator limited to archived information only? If not, can someone direct me to the documentation that tells me how to include non-archived information in the search?

I was going to let support drop for the Sherpa product, but I am getting a sinking feeling that my discovery work has just doubled into archived and non-archived searches.

I appreciate any information.

Regards

Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Dave,
I attached the pdf on Connectors to your first post.  (I happened to have just downloaded it)
There is a section that starts on page 2 for discovery partners.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  You can send me a note if you want and I will make sure you get hooked up with the right folks.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Can you tell me what kind of information you are looking to discover when you say non-archived information

A little more info would help us help you

TonySterling
Hi Dave,

DA searches the Indexes for the Archives, so if it isn't in the Archive DA is searching it. 
There are collection partners out there that will find "live" data and move it into an archive to make it easier.

Regards,
Tony

Dave_Tammi
Level 4
Hi Liam,

For email, we archive all email two months old or older. I would like to search the exchange mailboxes to find all email in or out of the vault.

For "flat files" in folders on our network servers, we do not have an archiving solution so I need to do the extremely painful scan of all files and folders. I do not believe there is any form of indexing running on the file server (I did say this would be painful), but I will still need to the search.

Tony,

Do you have links to these collection partners? Even if the discovery process becomes a two-step, it may be helpful to gather and backup all the information related to a case, just in case it is needed in the distant future.

Thanks for the replies,

Dave

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Dave,

The suggestions by Tony are your best option if you want to keep the system as is.

Another option is to Journal all email and archive the journaled email. This will give you every email sent or received and will gather all email data so your email discovery will only needed to be done with DA

As for your File system archiving. If you do a nightly archive of the data and then set your policy to only shortcut items older than 2 months you then get all the data daily and only shortcut or remove the files after two months still keeping the data in the archive

You also have the option to do a copy and reset which leaves the data on the file server but still pull a copy into the archive for discovery. This method plus journaling provide a more covert method of archiving for discovery

Then set a retention policy to expire items from the archive after X days, months or years

This way you can do a single discovery with only DA and not need to use two tool sets. It will also make your legal teasm happy that the discovery will be much faster than what you presently have

TonySterling
Hi Dave,
I attached the pdf on Connectors to your first post.  (I happened to have just downloaded it)
There is a section that starts on page 2 for discovery partners.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  You can send me a note if you want and I will make sure you get hooked up with the right folks.

Regards,