cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Server Settings Migration Wizard supports migration from ...

A_W
Level 4

Hello all,

Does Server Settings Migration Wizard supports migration from a standalone EV 9 to a 2 node-cluster EV 10 (Based on Microsoft Failover cluster)

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you would follow two separate processes. first use the wizard to migrare to EV10 and then use the feature to convert to cluster

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you would follow two separate processes. first use the wizard to migrare to EV10 and then use the feature to convert to cluster

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Andrew is correct. 

I imagine you already have the Server Settings migration wizard but here are the relevant technotes:

Migrating Enterprise Vault Servers to 64-bit hardware

Article: HOWTO42430  |  Created: 2011-02-23  |  Updated: 2012-01-05  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42430

Then follow the steps here to convert EV to a cluster:

Converting an existing Enterprise Vault installation to a Windows Server failover cluster

Article: HOWTO31767  |  Created: 2010-09-23  |  Updated: 2011-12-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31767

VirgilDobos

Hello,

That is not true actually.. I've done this couple of times so far..

Prepare base MSCS EV cluster (MSMQ, storage/disks) then migrate the EV settings to one of the EV10 nodes (the migrtor wizard will detect it's about a cluster). Once the migration is completed just add the secondary node as a failover node and that's it.

PS: Just notice that since this is a migration from EV9 to 10 (upgrade), you need to start the services ina particular order (to upgrade DBs, assuming you're aware of this).

Hope this helps.

--Virgil

TonySterling

Hi Virgil,

It is absolutetly true and whilst your method may work I wouldn't recommend it.  Affecting that much change at one time will make it more difficult to troubleshoot should there be an issue.

I would strongly recommend going from EV 9 stand-alone to EV 10 clustered in a phase approach as I recommended above.

As always, "there is more than one way to skin a cat" as they say but I try to balance speed with caution and limit what could go wrong.

best regards,

Tony

VirgilDobos

Thanks, Tony - what you are saying is true and generally applicable, but our peer asked whether it is possible and the answer is yes. :)

Take care, Virgil.

--Virgil

VirgilDobos

Hi A.W.

Please notice I've just completed another migration from EV 9 32bit machine to EV10 64bit clustered environment and it was very smooth. I've also migrated SQL at the same stage without any problems. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers, Virgil.

--Virgil

A_W
Level 4

Hello Virgil,

thanks for the information, I'll try it in my lab firstly.

regards