cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag & drop archived items in a mail message

Jeffrey_Kusters
Level 3

Hi,

We've just finished implementing EV and one of our users dragged and dropped a couple of archived items into a mail message and sent this message to one of his colleagues. This collegeague does not have access to the user's vault so he get's an error message.

I guess the problem is that the mail message contains the shortcuts instead of the original items. When he forwards a single archived message, the original item is forwarded instead of the shortcut (as defined by the mailbox policy)

I'm afraid I already know the answer but here goes: Is there a setting I can configure so dragging and dropping items also results in the original items being forwarded???

Kind regards!

2 REPLIES 2

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes I am afraid you are correct and so is your technical understanding of the situation. These attachments when attempted to be opened by the recipient will attempt to download the item from the senders archive. If the recipient does not have access to the senders archive, as you would normally expect, then this process will fail and the shortcut will be presented. So this is a case of educating users to restore archived items first before they forward onto another user.

I saw on an internal forum post that this behavior was to change in EV8 but I personally cannot confirm nor deny this as I have not had an opportunity to test this so as far as I am concerned it is still the same until I see different as I see no new settings regarding this in the policies.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

we have written a Outlook Addin for a Customer which had the same issue.

The addin is using the Outlook Send Event and checks if there are Shortcuts as Attachments. If yes, it will replace the Shortcuts by recalled "originals".... But you have to deploy to each user...

Cheers and Merry XMas

Peter