cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive space calculations help

RafaelAlpizar
Level 2

I am trying to clean up an install from a previous admin,  I am not very familiar with Evault myself just the little bit that I have picked up over the past few months.  I have taken over an install that I think was not done very well because the person who set it up did not know what he was doing.  We had intensions to remove evault completely but have reversed that decision.

Instead of trying to find out how much space I will need with my current data I would like to find out how much space I would need depending on how much drive space I have for my exchange data.

The admin from before has the evault data split on different servers, I am not sure why this is? Maybe he was unsure as to how much space he needed for the EV database and indexes?

Exchange Drive - Capacity 2.06TB - Used Space 1.69TB - Free space 387GB

Evault DB server - Capacity 2.53TB - Used Space 652GB - Free Space 1.89TB

I do not know much about SQL but the Database .MDB file size is currently 4.57GB the log file is 22.7GB

The indexes (Vault Store Partition) are 107GB and are located on a separate servers network share.  I would like to know if I have plenty of space on the EvaultDB server to move the Indexes to that server as well?  What are the cons of doing this? I would think it makes sense to have all the EV data on the same server.

At one point we had about 50 or so users setup on evault we migrated their emails back to their exchange mailboxes but now want to put them back.  This could be why the DB and indexes are large?  We will have a total of about 125 users on Exchange with Evault.

Any information that anyone could give me would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would HIGHLY recommend you guys get a Health Check.  This would be worth it for you in the long run to have an experience consultant go through your environment and make best practice recommendations for remediation.

The sizing questions your are asking are going to be dependant on your archiving rules and retention requirements. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would HIGHLY recommend you guys get a Health Check.  This would be worth it for you in the long run to have an experience consultant go through your environment and make best practice recommendations for remediation.

The sizing questions your are asking are going to be dependant on your archiving rules and retention requirements. 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

rafaelalpizar, i have to agree 100% with tony. it's in your best interest to immediately seek assistance with your EV implementation. the figures you're talking about dont seem right which leads me to believe that your suspicions about the previous install are justified.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

A couple observations:

1)  Migrating the user's emails back into Exchange does not remove them from EV, so you wouldn't have seen any reduction in storage based on that operation.

2)  With the exception of the SQL log file, the sizes are not terribly out of line.  I suspect that backups are not properly configured (or not running) which would account for the large log file in SQL.

3)  I agree with both Tony and Andrew about getting some help and a health check.  There are numerous partners that can provide that service. 

4)  In addition, it is highly recommended that either you get someone trained on EV administration, or look into some type of Managed Services for EV.  Again, there are several partners that can provide a Managed Services for EV at a reasonable cost.

...my 2 cents...

RafaelAlpizar
Level 2

Tony, Andrew and WiT, thanks for the Info i will pass it on to managment so we can get someone in here to help us out.