cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in Exchange whitespace - EV seems fine

EVSpinner
Level 5

Good morning,

I've been asked to look at a recent drop in Exchange whitespace, the report of which is being used to indicate a decrease in the archiving performance of EV

I looked at the scheduled archiving reports and each one demonstrates archiving numbers congruent with defaults, so I was thinking about how I'd tackle this and wondered if anyone had an opinion?

If EV is archiving at a rate that has not changed over a time period, but Exchange whitespace is decreasing, this would indicate an increase in inbound mail rate, yes?

If I need to prove EV archiving rate (reporting not installed), archiving reports would be the place to look for evidence of this - I can see the mailboxes targetted per scheduled run, and the number of mails archived per report

I can use SQL to generate archiving rates. Using the script below, do I understand correctly that I can return results retrospectively by changing the date period?

select DB_NAME(),"Archived Date" = left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),10),

"NumberOfItems" = count (*),

"MB (original)" = sum (originalsize)/1024/1024,

"MB (compressed)" = sum (itemsize)/1024

from view_saveset_archive_vault,savesetproperty

where view_Saveset_Archive_Vault.SavesetIdentity = savesetproperty.savesetidentity

and ArchivedDate >= '2014-01-01' and ArchivedDate < '2014-02-01'

group by left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),10)

order by

"Archived Date"

Have I missed anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

We've seen something similar, and it had to do with the 'single item recovery' setting in Exchange. Someone changed that from 7 to 30 days. This cause a huge growth of database size of Exchange.

Might be worth to check if Exchange settings have been changed. It might also be that EV suddenly started archiving lot more in the archiving window, which might explain also.

And yes, if you change the dates you get an overview of that period.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

We've seen something similar, and it had to do with the 'single item recovery' setting in Exchange. Someone changed that from 7 to 30 days. This cause a huge growth of database size of Exchange.

Might be worth to check if Exchange settings have been changed. It might also be that EV suddenly started archiving lot more in the archiving window, which might explain also.

And yes, if you change the dates you get an overview of that period.

Regards. Gertjan

Elio_C
Level 6

credit to GertjanA, see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/summarize-archived-data for a nice monthly archiving rate query