cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Symantec Enterprise Vault Archives

Donfrico
Level 3

The Enterprise vault Server is in 'SyncInMigrationMode' as we are in the process of of a cross forest migration of  User objects and mailboxes from exchange 2003 - 2007. Originally the Exchange 2K3 organisation and the EV server were in the same Domain 'A'. We are migrating the User objects and mailboxes to a Exchange 2K7 Oragnisation in  Domain 'B' with the SEV server remaining in Domain A.

A user mailbox has been migrated from Domain A - Domain B and the mailbox from the Exchange 2K3 org has been deleted and purged. The user has been found to have 2 archives. I have linked the older archive to the new mailbox but the newer archive has a LegacyMbxDN referencing the old mailbox which does no longer  exsits. So I cannot export the archive back to its original mailbox and then delete it.

If I use the option from the VAC  to 'export a single archive to a chosed mailbox' and point it to the new mailbox will the stubs be restored to live emails or will there be duplicate emails in the mailbox 1 stub and the same live email from the export? What is an alternative method to exporting the archive to a pst ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so hmmm, ok my suggestion is this

1. Export the users archive to a PST and choose to delete the item out of the archive
2. Enable Orphaned Shortcut Deletion in the mailbox policy if its not already enabled
3. Do a Run Now with Shortcut Processing Only and wait for it to complete, all the shortcuts for the new archive will now have been deleted
4. Disable the user from archiving
5. Delete the entries from ExchangeMailboxEntry with something like DELETE FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry WHERE mbxDisplayName = 'my user'
6. Delete the new archive that should now be empty from the PST Export
6. Re-Run provisioning and wait for it to finish
7. manually enable the user and then select the old archive (should only be one now)
8. Import the PST file that you exported and it will re-create the shortcuts if you want it to

The Orphaned Shortcut deletion wll only delete shortcuts that belong to the archive.
So for instance if you have 10,000 shortcuts for oldArchive and 2,000 shortcuts for newArchive, and then you want to do Orphaned Shortcut Deletion, it will look at the archiveID that is enabled, and only delete shortcuts that match that archiveID but do not have entries in the database

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6

What i would do is disable the user from archiving, delete both the users entries from ExchangeMailboxEntry table, re-run provisioning then manually enable the user pointing them to the old archive and delete the new archive if its empty, if its not empty, export the few items to a pst and reimport them

Donfrico
Level 3

Dear JesusWep2

What will happen to the stub items. There are 2082 items in the newer archive.

Donfrico

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so hmmm, ok my suggestion is this

1. Export the users archive to a PST and choose to delete the item out of the archive
2. Enable Orphaned Shortcut Deletion in the mailbox policy if its not already enabled
3. Do a Run Now with Shortcut Processing Only and wait for it to complete, all the shortcuts for the new archive will now have been deleted
4. Disable the user from archiving
5. Delete the entries from ExchangeMailboxEntry with something like DELETE FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry WHERE mbxDisplayName = 'my user'
6. Delete the new archive that should now be empty from the PST Export
6. Re-Run provisioning and wait for it to finish
7. manually enable the user and then select the old archive (should only be one now)
8. Import the PST file that you exported and it will re-create the shortcuts if you want it to

The Orphaned Shortcut deletion wll only delete shortcuts that belong to the archive.
So for instance if you have 10,000 shortcuts for oldArchive and 2,000 shortcuts for newArchive, and then you want to do Orphaned Shortcut Deletion, it will look at the archiveID that is enabled, and only delete shortcuts that match that archiveID but do not have entries in the database

Donfrico
Level 3

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks

Donafrico