Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During a manual store in vault, the Outlook client does not respond

daniel_dasilva
Not applicable
Partner

Hello,

We opened an incident at Symantec Technical Support (Case: 03941862) regarding this issue and they redirected us to this site.

Problem Description: During a manual store in Vault for multiple e-mails (more than 500 mails), Add-in EV seems to show some defects.

TEST n°1 > Windows XP + Outlook 2003: Manual archive of 747 mails (49 MB).
During the manual archive, Outlook has two behaviors

1. Hourglass for 1 min and 15 seconds
  2. Outlook not responding during the last 45 seconds> no progress bar > it is easy to think that the task is finished or planted

Info: if the user clicks anywhere during stage A or B, Outlook suggests it was crashed or crash in many cases.

TEST n°2 > Windows 7 + Outlook 2010: Manual archive of 1000 emails (50 MB).
During the manual archive, Outlook has only one behavior

1. Hourglass + not responding for 2 mn and 37 sec

The problem is related to the fact that Outlook goes into a mode that it is not responding despite the presence of hourglass for Outlook 2010. This information suggests the user that Outlook has crashed and not that the application is still running. The user is not informed that he must simply wait until the task ends. Is there a way to inform the user with a message or a progress bar that EV Add-in is being processed ?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback and best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I could have sworn I saw this discussed just the other day either here, or in the ideas section. This is a bug, in my opinion, the product should either : a/ stop you from doing the operation on so many items b/ handle things better, and not hang (eg mark them from archiving, and have the archiving task actually do the archiving at it's next run) It may be argued that users shouldn't do this.. but users will be users, and after all 500-1000 items isn't THAT many. I would suggest going back to Symantec and pushing back.
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I could have sworn I saw this discussed just the other day either here, or in the ideas section. This is a bug, in my opinion, the product should either : a/ stop you from doing the operation on so many items b/ handle things better, and not hang (eg mark them from archiving, and have the archiving task actually do the archiving at it's next run) It may be argued that users shouldn't do this.. but users will be users, and after all 500-1000 items isn't THAT many. I would suggest going back to Symantec and pushing back.
Working for cloudficient.com

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It sounds like they were suggesting you create an idea in the Idea's section: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/archiving-and-ediscovery/ideas

Otherwise, not sure why you would have been directed to Connect.  Did they close your case?